I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

6 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

Did I see something over the weekend that someone running for president was campaigning on "forgiving all drum corps member loans?"  I should have paid more attention.

Yes, they're going to institute a "performance tax" on all WGI groups to pay for all unpaid DCI fees.

Lesson to all:  Don't be too quick to pay off those marching fees each summer.

This plan will remain in force until they run out of other people's money to give away.

Hey, drum corps teaches economics 101, too!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, kkrepps said:

Yes, but things were tough then. We couldn't afford a loaf of bread.  My dad stole a loaf of bread for us and was sent to prison for 19 years! 

...at least I think that's what it was about, I might be getting it confused with something else. :unsure:

O.K., your father had a prison record, and from what I understand he stole silver from a Bishop too, who got him off the hook on the condition he become an honorable man, which he did. We all know what happened, and he wrote a book, that was adapted to a movie and a musical.

• Haha 3

Nope, I'll continue to supports DCI and my favorite corps.  I think they are doing well and entertaining me and providing an educational service to the MMs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Incognito365 said:

I may be young, but I remember my mom complaining about having to pay $1.05 in gas because just he day before it was 99 cents. Lol. I remember a gallon of milk being $1.10, bread being 99 cents, candy bars being a lot longer, and back when Crazy Bread was a foot long. In my eyes, the 90s were a magical time. Lol.

I think I’m older than your mom.   I remember bread being .29 and candy bars were .05.  You could go to town and rot out all your teeth for $1.00.

• Haha 2

I'm fascinated by the discussion regarding whether Drum Corp costs more today than it did 30-40 years ago.  Using the CPI Inflation Calculator I calculated the following multipliers for people to use to determine if drum corp cost more or less back "in the day".

Year    Multiplier
1975    4.77
1976    4.5
1977    4.21
1978    3.92
1979    3.54
1980    3.09
1981    2.82
1982    2.64
1983    2.57
1984    2.46
1985    2.38
1986    2.33
1987    2.25
1988    2.17
1989    2.06

So if someone paid $700 in 1975 to march in drum corp, that would be $700 * 4.77 = $3339 in today's dollars.

19 minutes ago, Tim K said:

O.K., your father had a prison record, and from what I understand he stole silver from a Bishop too, who got him off the hook on the condition he become an honorable man, which he did. We all know what happened, and he wrote a book, that was adapted to a movie and a musical.

...and DCI shows by the Cadets and SCV.

• Haha 1