I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

1 hour ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Is it bad that I saw 7/4 and I was thinking about time signatures?

Well, it is 7/8 Day, so...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, xandandl said:

and the costs have gotten tremendously prohibitive................especially since there are fewer local shows or local shows with many or variant corps.

It's amazing the tangent the response to my comment took.  I responded to someone talking about the dearth of local shows.  I responded that many of us can't afford the tickets for the few there are. Others twisted the discussion to what they paid for tour fees.  Someone who earns in excess of 6 figures (proven from his 990's of course) said it was a bargain. Still comes to the same thing:  if the corps stop doing community performances (parades, concerts, encores) they give flesh to GH's dream that the activity will be for the few, the elite, and the royal whether as mms, audience, or faculty (who now make a full time living in it.)  The finances of the activity took an extreme turn once Yamaha entered fulltime, the Artistic Director became Costume Mistress for 2/3 of the Finalists,  and shows became opportunities to increase sales for System Blue Sousaphones. Not what we caucused at all back in '72.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, garfield said:

When I marched in the mid '70's I paid $700 per season.

$700 to $4,000 in 40 years is about 4.5% cost inflation per year.  Considering the decline in the supply of marching opportunities, that doesn't sound like hyper-inflation in tour fees to me.

Price a week at Interlochen or a summer of travel-field hockey (or name your kid-sport) and I think it's pretty clear that the drum corps experience value proposition is still quite high.

Don't forget the fee includes Spring Training AND tour.  Kids are away from home for 12 -14 weeks.  They are (or should be) being fed 3+ times/day.  That's 252 -  294 meals plus snacks. transportation for thousands of miles, housing (in schools, dorms, hotels), instruction, health care (or there should be healthcare available).  They get a lot.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, xandandl said:

It's amazing the tangent the response to my comment took.  I responded to someone talking about the dearth of local shows.  I responded that many of us can't afford the tickets for the few there are. Others twisted the discussion to what they paid for tour fees.  Someone who earns in excess of 6 figures (proven from his 990's of course) said it was a bargain. Still comes to the same thing:  if the corps stop doing community performances (parades, concerts, encores) they give flesh to GH's dream that the activity will be be for the few, the elite, and the royal whether as mms, audience, or faculty (who now make a full time living in it.)  The finances of the activity took an extreme turn once Yamaha entered fulltime, the Artistic Director became Costume Mistress for 2/3 of the Finalists,  and shows became opportunities to increase sales for System Blue Sousaphones. Not what we caucused at all back in '72.

Seven, but who's counting?

(/a little sarcasm)

I remember when this thread was about DCL’s organizational response to sexual misconduct and member safety. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

...and THAT'S how I was able to afford tickets to a DCI show. 👍

I thought you were going to tell me you were being sued by the estate of Victor Hugo.