I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCI survived 2009-2010, record lows for modern times in terms of attendance and often show popularity was low too. 

and this...since i joined drum corps forums online, i remember seeing boycotts called about Bb brass, amps ( I myself attended only 3 shows from 2004-2008), more electronics, show design, the G7.......and yet here we are. And I do think in most cases, DCI is trying to do the right thing. And sometimes the getting to the right path has some pitfalls. Given that DCi told Roman to step down or be gone, Cadets to ditch Hop and the board or else ( and psst, they are still on probation), forced Morrison off of the exec board....they are starting to take some good steps. Many more good steps are needed, but stuff like this doesn't change overnight, an it'll never be perfect. But I at least see some baby steps.

now for the love of God, will they hire a person that actually understands PR?

You raise a good point. I have been wondering about the Cadets probation status for months now. It was my understanding that the Cadets would be evaluated in September and the probation would probably be lifted. What is up with that?

Drum corps is one of the few things I actually like about summer so I won’t be boycotting DCI in any way, shape, or form. In fact, if anyone would like to sell me their Finals tickets, hit my inbox. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

I keep reading about people willing to continue to  support corps.,MM ,etc.,but not DCI.

Does anyone here know how exactly DCI is funded.

I presume they get a big chunk of the money from the ticket sales at their shows.

But that,and "Friends of DCI" membership  wouldn't seem to be enough to support the organization.

I was wondering if corps pay an annual "fee" to be a member or if they get money from other 

sources.

You left out their sponsors:

• corporate partners
  • tour partners
  • championship partners
  • media partners
  • funding partners
  • strategic partners
  • official music education partners

On 1/16/2019 at 3:58 PM, Terri Schehr said:

You’re right.  

I would buy them if you had three

On 1/16/2019 at 8:46 PM, skevinp said:

Sadly, I agree.  At this point the burden of proof should be on DCI to identify other communications that support their claims.  

They have no burden of proof. It is a private organization that gets to set its own policies for how new organizations get associated. We don't have to like it, but only the corps directors can change it. My suggestion would be making your opinion known to the corps directors serving on the board. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

You left out their sponsors:

• corporate partners
  • tour partners
  • championship partners
  • media partners
  • funding partners
  • strategic partners
  • official music education partners

So,going back to my original post,are these DCI's only sources of income  ?

Do member corps pay an annual fee or are there other sources ?

I’ve been thinking about this for a couple of days.  The activity that I have loved for close to three decades is in peril by people who are either incapable of righting the ship or complicit in running it aground.  Things cannot go on like this. 

The simple answer is, of course, a boycott.   The problem with this is twofold:

1. Broadly speaking, boycotts generally don’t work.  Sorry, but that’s just how it is.  Until or unless a critical mass of people withhold their money – which almost never happens – a boycott is mostly smoke with little to no fire. 
  2. More importantly, unlike a boycott in a more mainstream or traditional industry, the very entities and individuals that one is trying to help – youth and the small nonprofits with which they participate – are arguably further harmed.  These organizations need money, and the kids need people in the stands cheering them on. 

So after some thought, here’s what I’d like to see happen.  Those of us who are outraged and fed up – and that number is growing, based on what I’m seeing on social media – should absolutely not stay home this summer.  Let’s attend as many shows as we can, with the intent to make some noise while we’re at it. 

• We should wear T-shirts bashing the current DCI leadership (especially Acheson) for failing to clean house. 
  • Let’s attend shows, prepared to spend money – on the organizations that have actually, you know, displayed some responsibility in protecting their kids. 
  • Attending a show where Acheson will be present?  The second he steps onto the field, boo him.  Loudly.  He richly deserves it. 
  • And while we’re at it, let’s lean on DCI’s corporate sponsors to start rethinking their support of the organization.  A bunch of disgruntled fans staying home is one thing; losing high-profile sponsors is another matter entirely. 

In short, attend events, support the corps, enjoy the shows – but demand change.  Spread awareness.  Make 'em squirm.  

I freely admit that this sort of behavior could get me kicked out of a show.  In the event this happens, my next phone call will be to the local TV stations.  I’ll make sure I have their assignment desks on speed dial.   Give DCI the bad press they have earned. 

So: no, I’m not staying home this summer.  None of us should.  But if done properly, Dan Acheson will wish we had.  Who’s with me?

12 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Too bad the blunders do happen overnight and pushes any change further out. If a demise of dci is in the cards the MMs will create it. This is new ground the other boycotts were not felt by the MMs as the problems we are facing now do.

outside of OC, I've seen no reports of corps hurting for kids 

7 hours ago, dans said:

You raise a good point. I have been wondering about the Cadets probation status for months now. It was my understanding that the Cadets would be evaluated in September and the probation would probably be lifted. What is up with that?

my hunch is the financial issues were made known to HQ, and so they left it in place while the board tried to right the ship and show a good plan to have the issue eliminated in a reasonable yet timely fashion.