I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

1 hour ago, drpepper said:

I would suggest that perhaps it's because some of them are of the opinion that an activity that's been very important to them for many years is headed in the wrong direction.

The best way I can think of to differentiate then vs. now is that unless I'm mistaken, I believe a lot of the things being mentioned that were complained about over the past 50 years were rule changes. The evolution of horns from one to two to three valves and on to Bb were because of rule changes. The removal of requirements for starting lines and symmetrical drill, and the tick system. The onset of electronics and voice. The The inclusion of trombones, french horns, etc. These were all rule changes that were made with the intent of improving and progressing the activity. I personally have had no problem with any of these things.

The changes that I've seen in the last two years that I think are taking drum corps in the wrong direction have not been driven by rule changes, but rather in design philosophies and trends. There hasn't been any rule requiring corps to change their uniforms, or drag massive structures onto the field, or have a vocalist sing an entire piece, or only use brass players that can dance as well as the guard can. Those are choices that have been made by the design teams.  And myself and others merely don't like where those design trends are going. It seems that DCI is becoming WGI, and many people don't care for that. (The ironic thing there is 2018 Blue Devils was the best playing-and-marching show that corps has ever had.) 

I also find it rather disappointing that I'll likely never see the traditional Cadets or SCV or Cavaliers uniforms on a field ever again. I'm honestly a bit surprised that there aren't more people who feel the same way.

Unfortunately those of us who voice opinions like that tend to be lumped into 1) old out-of-touch "get off my lawn" people, or 2) people who don't support the kids. Neither, in the long run, are true.  But I guess I'd add that to Jeff's constants - 1) change, 2) people complaining about the change, 3) people criticizing the people who complain about the change. 

In the long run, the activity will go where it goes. None of us on here or on Reddit chirping back and forth about what we think will have any effect on anything. Personally I just hope it trends back towards something I find entertaining, even if it's supposedly "selfish" for me to do so.

LOTS of changes in the past had nothing to do with rule changes, the were design concepts. 1971, just before DCI, is a prime example. There was a huge outcry when a few corps created themed shows....even a Year Drum Corps Died t-shirt was produced. Scouts, Cadets, 1/2 of the Cavies show, St Rita's Brassmen themed shows drew a lot of flack from the traditionalists. Bayonne donning the banana unis in 76, and the irreverent shows they created..."that's not drum corps" was heard all the time at shows. Drum corps has never stood still since I saw my first show in 1963. 

• Like 1

People complained when brass instruments replaced the woodwinds, as the original " true Drum Corps" had fifes, not bugles. Others complained when the contra bass ( early 60's ) was added to brass lines, as a contra bass was deemed " too bandish " by the Drum & Bugle Corps purists at the time. Several prominent Jr/ Sr. . Corps lost lots of alum/ fan support for awhile when they made their Corps Coed, instead of traditional All Male. Likewise today's young that prefer today's version of Drum Corps will no doubt be exasperated by the what the Corps do in 5-10 years and wish it was 2018's version instead again. That said, complaining is the National Pastime now, imo. Replacing Baseball as the National Pastime. Complaining as a full time" hobby" or " sport " is not confined to just Drum Corps/MB... lol

Edited by BRASSO

I will keep going to shows and keeping cheering loud and proud for The Cavaliers and other corps. I agree that things are not great now... these are depressing times for us drum corps fans. I do not think boycotting shows is the direct answer... I actually plan to write a few letters of concern about certain morals that were once important in DCI or for these marching groups. Get the kids off the streets, keep them safe, educate the marchers, teach them that they are all special in their own way, and remember to always challenge yourself to do better.

DCI is extremely important to me and I do not want to see it tarnished. I would like to see DCI to set some new standards if these corps would like to march in their respective division. One can hope that they can start having positive changes soon.

DCI has gotten me through some tough times as a teenager... listening to The Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Bluecoats, Crown, and SCV always kept me going. I really do not want DCI to vanish. 

15 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Glad you said funnin’ as I can’t tell who is playing G and who is playing Bb. Ye olde sound differences from bitd was from horn construction and not key. And have played p/r, 2v and 3v with Corps. And own 1v from 40s and 50s to play on my own.

all in G

Difference is subtle, Jim. Cleaner overtones, overall sound. Also less of a 'spread' timbre for a lack of a better way to put it. Euphonium players use that to describe that traditional British sound versus the more compact sound I gravitate towards.

7 hours ago, BRASSO said:

People complained when brass instruments replaced the woodwinds, as the original " true Drum Corps" had fifes, not bugles. Others complained when the contra bass ( early 60's ) was added to brass lines, as a contra bass was deemed " too bandish " by the Drum & Bugle Corps purists at the time. Several prominent Jr/ Sr. . Corps lost lots of alum/ fan support for awhile when they made their Corps Coed, instead of traditional All Male. Likewise today's young that prefer today's version of Drum Corps will no doubt be exasperated by the what the Corps do in 5-10 years and wish it was 2018's version instead again. That said, complaining is the National Pastime now, imo. Replacing Baseball as the National Pastime. Complaining as a full time" hobby" or " sport " is not confined to just Drum Corps/MB... lol

As for the 'hobby' issue... I know a prominent figure/guiding spirit as it were in one DCA/DCI affiliated corps under recent scrutiny has made comments in that very direction. I think they forget that competitive hobbies can be very, very expensive and time consuming if one wants to be competitive at all in that hobby. I occasionally run 1/32 slot cars, used to do it seriously. 20 buck motor...the 6 bucks for better tires, 5 bucks for better pickup braid, 10 bucks for comm drops and tire oil, 5 bucks for the bigger guide flag... another 5 bucks for drill rod axles... the tire truer, the Magnet marshal, the lead foil, different pinions and gears... and that's not counting the actual 45+Buck car to stat the build with. If one wants to be an also ran... well, run it out of the box, and I think that's been a long gone concept for any Drum corps that's taken seriously in DCI and DCA.

In 2012, I only watched Regiment, Crown and SCV,

In 2013, I only watched Crown and SCV.

In 2014, although I had a subscription, I didn't even bother to watch finals week.

In 2015, I only watched Crown, Cadets, BK and SCV.

In 2016, I only watched Blue Stars, BK, Bluecoats and SCV.

In 2017, I only watched Blue Devils, Bluecoats and SCV.

In 2018, I watched everything I could throughout the whole season.

In 2019, I will repeat 2018.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, drpepper said:

I would suggest that perhaps it's because some of them are of the opinion that an activity that's been very important to them for many years is headed in the wrong direction.

The best way I can think of to differentiate then vs. now is that unless I'm mistaken, I believe a lot of the things being mentioned that were complained about over the past 50 years were rule changes. The evolution of horns from one to two to three valves and on to Bb were because of rule changes. The removal of requirements for starting lines and symmetrical drill, and the tick system. The onset of electronics and voice. The The inclusion of trombones, french horns, etc. These were all rule changes that were made with the intent of improving and progressing the activity. I personally have had no problem with any of these things.

The changes that I've seen in the last two years that I think are taking drum corps in the wrong direction have not been driven by rule changes, but rather in design philosophies and trends. There hasn't been any rule requiring corps to change their uniforms, or drag massive structures onto the field, or have a vocalist sing an entire piece, or only use brass players that can dance as well as the guard can. Those are choices that have been made by the design teams.  And myself and others merely don't like where those design trends are going. It seems that DCI is becoming WGI, and many people don't care for that. (The ironic thing there is 2018 Blue Devils was the best playing-and-marching show that corps has ever had.) 

I also find it rather disappointing that I'll likely never see the traditional Cadets or SCV or Cavaliers uniforms on a field ever again. I'm honestly a bit surprised that there aren't more people who feel the same way.

Unfortunately those of us who voice opinions like that tend to be lumped into 1) old out-of-touch "get off my lawn" people, or 2) people who don't support the kids. Neither, in the long run, are true.  But I guess I'd add that to Jeff's constants - 1) change, 2) people complaining about the change, 3) people criticizing the people who complain about the change. 

In the long run, the activity will go where it goes. None of us on here or on Reddit chirping back and forth about what we think will have any effect on anything. Personally I just hope it trends back towards something I find entertaining, even if it's supposedly "selfish" for me to do so.

i think the biggest problems in drum corps the last two years have little to do with anything on the field.

and which traditional Cadets show do you speak of...the 50's kind? 60's or 70's? 80's or 90's? Anything from 2000 until 2017?

drum corps has been changing since Day 2  it existed. of course complainers about those changes started the same day

• Like 1

Didn't read everything, but I'll still get the subscription and go to a show, as I usually do.  

Mostly because I'm inspired by the Cadets and how they've made it through last year.  🙂 If they can do it, DCI can do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ranintothedoor said:

Mostly because I'm inspired by the Cadets and how they've made it through last year.  🙂 If they can do it, DCI can do it.

For now, it seems the Cadets have better leadership at the top.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1