I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

I quit supporting this gimmick a few seasons back when brass and percussion were being displaced by electronics.  To think that brass and persuasion players today are incapable of creating and projecting the sound and rhythms necessary to simulate string, woodwind parts etc. is a major insult to all (past and present) DCI brass and percussion players.  The mingling of natural / musical stereophonic brass and percussion sounds with the mono sounds created by amplification is absolutely pitiful and a major reduction in creativity.

Edited by Land_Surfer
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, FlamMan said:

You haven't looked. You do understand that everyone her either loves or loved drum corp at one time. I used to love it. Now I don't. Simple as that.

i didnt like it for a few years. i didnt post in the main forums as much

9 hours ago, Stu said:

I realize you are a Madison alum, and want to support them. But your implication here is that while you do not like DCI or even the Scouts show designs, only the members of the Scouts are getting the experience of a lifetime. What about the kids in Jersey Surf: while you are not an alum, and you may or may not like their show design, aren't they also still getting the experience of a lifetime? Should only their alumni support them?

I am not a Madison Alum. Never claimed to be. I don't like any show designs these days. I have been donating to the Scouts for years. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SFZFAN said:

I am not a Madison Alum. Never claimed to be. I don't like any show designs these days. I have been donating to the Scouts for years. 

An assumption on my part because you only support the Scouts. But the implication still exists in that you believe only the Scouts provide a lifetime experience. You avoided the question within my post concerning that implication. Please respond to that particular question.

7 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

I quit supporting this gimmick a few seasons back when brass and percussion were being displaced by electronics.  To think that brass and persuasion players today are incapable of creating and projecting the sound and rhythms necessary to simulate string, woodwind parts etc. is a major insult to all (past and present) DCI brass and percussion players.  The mingling of natural / musical stereophonic brass and percussion sounds with the mono sounds created by amplification is absolutely pitiful and a major reduction in creativity.

That is very well said.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

An assumption on my part because you only support the Scouts. But the implication still exists in that you believe only the Scouts provide a lifetime experience. You avoided the question within my post concerning that implication. Please respond to that particular question.

Do you donate to your Alma mater or do you donate to schools that you didn't attend?

45 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Do you donate to your Alma mater or do you donate to schools that you didn't attend?

Over the past 30 years I have, or still do, financially support the corps in which I aged out of, the corps in which I was on instructional staff, the corps in which I volunteered for, and I have supported a multitude of youth via helping with dues with various corps other than 'mine' including two this season, neither of which are performing with one of 'my' corps. Does that answer your question?

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stu said:

Over the past 30 years I have, or still do, financially support the corps in which I aged out of, the corps in which I was on instructional staff, the corps in which I volunteered for, and I have supported a multitude of youth via helping with dues with various corps other than 'mine' including two this season, neither of which are performing with one of 'my' corps. Does that answer your question?

Why are you ripping on SFZFAN because he donates to the Scouts? Do you think he should donate to every corps?

3 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Why are you ripping on SFZFAN because he donates to the Scouts? Do you think he should donate to every corps?

He said he gave up on DCI but still supports, and only supports, the Scouts; which is fine. However he stated this quote as his reason for only supporting the Scouts: "The members are still getting the experience of a lifetime so I will continue to give." The implication with that statement is that 'only the Scouts' provide that experience of a lifetime while all other corps within DCI do not.

39 minutes ago, Stu said:

He said he gave up on DCI but still supports, and only supports, the Scouts; which is fine. However he stated this quote as his reason for only supporting the Scouts: "The members are still getting the experience of a lifetime so I will continue to give." The implication with that statement is that 'only the Scouts' provide that experience of a lifetime while all other corps within DCI do not.

Because he chooses to donate to the Scouts doesn't mean that he believes that only the Scouts are worthy. You are seeing things that aren't there.