I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

2 hours ago, ouooga said:

The problem: how to make DCI feel effects of the problem while still keeping DCI alive.

Protesting DCI-sanctioned events doesn't seem like the best opportunity for this. I'd rather see more of a protest-at-shows style thing, where we all show up wearing "This drum corps fan supports Arsenal over DCI" shirts. We could even send the money back to Arsenal to help them get ready for 2020.

Or better yet, how about T-shirts that say, “I Am Arsenal”

• Like 7

by Drum Corps International

Arsenal Drum and Bugle Corps is a participant in the DCI SoundSport program and petitioned DCI for evaluation to tour as an Open Class corps for the 2019 season.

The evaluation process for Open Class membership is rigorous and designed to ensure that the organization has sufficient financial resources, staff and volunteers, policies, and equipment to tour safely. Strict adherence to all DCI policies and procedures is also a requirement for membership consideration, and it is not uncommon for an organization to require more than one attempt to gain membership.

After thorough consideration, Arsenal's Open Class evaluation was put on hold as a result of its representatives publicly disparaging other DCI organizations. The action offered Arsenal an opportunity to correct the issue, but the organization's leadership chose not to discuss options for moving forward. Unfortunately, this left DCI with no recourse but to suspend the corps' application for Open Class evaluation for the 2019 season.

Arsenal may participate in DCI's SoundSport program in 2019 and petition again for the Open Class evaluation in 2020.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

by Drum Corps International

Arsenal Drum and Bugle Corps is a participant in the DCI SoundSport program and petitioned DCI for evaluation to tour as an Open Class corps for the 2019 season.

The evaluation process for Open Class membership is rigorous and designed to ensure that the organization has sufficient financial resources, staff and volunteers, policies, and equipment to tour safely. Strict adherence to all DCI policies and procedures is also a requirement for membership consideration, and it is not uncommon for an organization to require more than one attempt to gain membership.

After thorough consideration, Arsenal's Open Class evaluation was put on hold as a result of its representatives publicly disparaging other DCI organizations. The action offered Arsenal an opportunity to correct the issue, but the organization's leadership chose not to discuss options for moving forward. Unfortunately, this left DCI with no recourse but to suspend the corps' application for Open Class evaluation for the 2019 season.

Arsenal may participate in DCI's SoundSport program in 2019 and petition again for the Open Class evaluation in 2020.

A claim vigorously denied by Arsenal and not supported by time stamped emails. 

• Thanks 4

I've said it before.

Until DCI sees a potential  impact to their bottom line,there's no reason to think they will make  any  meaningful organizational changes.

Why should they ?

People can #####,moan and groan all they want.

Doesn't affect them.

• Like 1

There needs to be an OFFICIAL ombudsman for this activity! Right now, it’s Tricia Nadolny.  We as a collective of DCI, Corps, Marchers and Alumni, need Someone who is independent, impartial and provide a free service. They investigatecomplaints that haven't been solved by the organisation complained against.  Ombudsmen investigate complaints when something has been handled badly or unfairly, making someone suffer as a result. None of this is rocket science. Geez!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lancer79 said:

There needs to be an OFFICIAL ombudsman for this activity! Right now, it’s Tricia Nadolny.  We as a collective of DCI, Corps, Marchers and Alumni, need Someone who is independent, impartial and provide a free service. They investigatecomplaints that haven't been solved by the organisation complained against.  Ombudsmen investigate complaints when something has been handled badly or unfairly, making someone suffer as a result. None of this is rocket science. Geez!

nah, we need Tricia Nadolny and more reporters like her.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dbc03 said:

What is the policy and where is it on the website?

I am not sure if it is on the website or not, but it is a pretty obscure policy, I Can’t recall hearing before, and quite frankly one that I believe could have been enforced against George Hopkins on more than one occasion. I cannot say I recall him ranting about other corps by name, he certainly disparaged DCI. 

Now if this is such a serious infraction, there are professional ways this could have been handled. A corps is applying for Open Class, and is told in an email that stated it was great to meet the former director, by the way you violated a rule and now you’re out, which is a paraphrase but the gist of the notification. You do so with a formal letter with a business-like tone, state the policy as is written, how the notice posted on Reddit violated it, etc. The letter should have been sent and signed for by the recipient. 

To not completely hijack the thread, how this has been handled does show incompetence and does explain the frustration of so many on this and so many other issues that boycotting seems like the only solution.

• Like 4