I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

14 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

A claim vigorously denied by Arsenal and not supported by time stamped emails. 

True, but Spencer Lotz does mention a phone call from the Open Class coordinator. He may have been given options in the conversation, but as I said in reply to another post, you put things in writing and in a matter this serious, email is not the appropriate forum for any of this, you create an actual paper trail. An email can back up conversations, but is no substitute for serious matters such as rejecting Arsenal’s application.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

The money tree and unicorn sales. Pfft...easy.

So all of the corps have the money to go out and pay the licensing for all of the old fan network content back to 1972? Oh and they have enough to cover for the folded corps too?

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

What if some big guns, let's say including some of the top 5, threatened to boycott finals week and stage their own exhibition performances unless real steps are taken immediately? Can't imagine Acheson etc. would risk losing, say, BD, SCV, Crown, Cadets and Boston (just for example). But I guess as they always say "DCI is the Corps" and they wouldn't want to rock the boat so violently...

29 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I am not sure if it is on the website or not, but it is a pretty obscure policy, I Can’t recall hearing before, and quite frankly one that I believe could have been enforced against George Hopkins on more than one occasion. I cannot say I recall him ranting about other corps by name, he certainly disparaged DCI. 

Now if this is such a serious infraction, there are professional ways this could have been handled. A corps is applying for Open Class, and is told in an email that stated it was great to meet the former director, by the way you violated a rule and now you’re out, which is a paraphrase but the gist of the notification. You do so with a formal letter with a business-like tone, state the policy as is written, how the notice posted on Reddit violated it, etc. The letter should have been sent and signed for by the recipient. 

To not completely hijack the thread, how this has been handled does show incompetence and does explain the frustration of so many on this and so many other issues that boycotting seems like the only solution.

https://issuu.com/drumcorpsinternational/docs/dci_community_code_of_conduct___eth/1?ff&e=1376842/60913657

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

So all of the corps have the money go gonout and pay the licensing for all of the old fan network content back to 1972? Oh and they have enough to cover for the folded corps too?

Of course! Do you not know what a purebred unicorn goes for these days? Big bucks!!

53 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

A claim vigorously denied by Arsenal and not supported by time stamped emails. 

The two emails that were made public.  Are you certain there is no other communication that took place before or after the emails?  Was there a phone call?  Other messages that weren't publicized?   

You know the old saying, right?  There are THREE sides to every store.  Person A's side, Person B's side, and the truth.  

• Like 1

After 3 seasons in the SCV organization my son will be moving to Blue Stars in 2019 so I cannot completely cut DCI off; however, I am maintaining a respectful distance from my DC alma mater. 

21 minutes ago, TwoValves said:

The two emails that were made public.  Are you certain there is no other communication that took place before or after the emails?  Was there a phone call?  Other messages that weren't publicized?   

You know the old saying, right?  There are THREE sides to every store.  Person A's side, Person B's side, and the truth.  

A timeline of communications was also provided. Frankly, Arsenel has more credibility with me at this point than DCI does.

• Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, TwoValves said:

Person A has provided receipts. Person B has not. We have to make our best guess as to the truth based on the evidence we've seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

A timeline of communications was also provided. Frankly, Arsenel has more credibility with me at this point than DCI does.

I’m 60+ but worked in IT for decades so I’ll say it.... did a 23 year old know the value of time stamps better than the older people at DCI because he is more used to web based communications?