Trust and Truth

What trust can we, the fans and also young adult members have in DCI as well as the corps, have that each and EVERY corps will be monitored during camps and throughout the season? Obviously the corps can't police themselves and DCI at this point can't do it either. We won't know what corps will look like membership-wise until probably July. What if young people and parents decide the activity is not safe. Maybe marching bands (BOA) saw this problem and can be the solution. School districts have strict rules and guidelines in place. Drum corps and DCI really don't!

Since April 2018 we have seen some pretty sad news about the activity that we all grew up with. I got involved at the age of 11 and enjoyed marching and playing and growing up with friends of all ages that I could trust and still trust today. 

I am still shocked that an organization has a director who has allegedly sexually assaulted young women for almost 40 years and another director who didn't do his job and take care of his kids and add the other directors and staff members who have up to now gotten away with terrible behavior. YET a corps director who spoke the truth sees his corps chances of being in Open class shot down. Evidently the TRUTH does NOT set you free in DCI! Yes GH will probably get his in the end but RB and others will walk away unscathed. Corps will either rebound or just go away. My guess is we won't see Pioneer and Oregon Crusaders ever again.

As much as I love drum corps I believe the articles that have been written are truthful and accurate. When GH is charged with crimes and it gets out nationally, drum corps or the current governing body will pay a very heavy price. 

I wonder what corps directors are doing to right the wrongs. Is 1971 going to happen again? Will we see a new Drum Corps governing body?

Is DCA the answer? I would think that they have been making sure that their house is in better order. 

Just tossing some things out there.

Not sure this required its own thread vs all the others 

to answer your basic premise - no, I do not believe the current events will lead to the loss of DCI and a new circuit 

i do believe Dans days are numbered - he needs to go, if for no other reason than symbolic change 

it’s way past time for new leadership and vision at DCI

additional changes are needed - but typically the “fish goes rotten from the head” so it would be wise to start there 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Not sure this required its own thread vs all the others 

to answer your basic premise - no, I do not believe the current events will lead to the loss of DCI and a new circuit 

i do believe Dans days are numbered - he needs to go, if for no other reason than symbolic change 

it’s way past time for new leadership and vision at DCI

additional changes are needed - but typically the “fish goes rotten from the head” so it would be wise to start there 

When you’ve lost George Dixon, you’ve lost America. Time to go, Dan. (Extra credit to those who remember this was said about Walter Cronkite during the Watergate years)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

DCI is not going anywhere. This is a sticky situation for DCI made by their own mistakes. It’ll be rough over the next couple of years as more news gets out (I believe this will happen inevitably). However, I believe we’ll still continue to see record number audiences and incredible innovation. Sometimes change like this can’t happen overnight. I’m not ready to boycott DCI in its entirety just yet. The biggest change that I like to see is a change in leadership.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KeithHall said:

Obviously the corps can't police themselves and DCI at this point can't do it either. 

I feel the corps can do this.  Starts with digging deeper into the backgrounds of all non mm.   The corps might have already contacted everyone planning on being around the corps and explained what the mgmt. expects and will do.  But they might need to ask for anyone to come forward with any info they know.  Yes, I know this might open up the possibility of false claims for various reasons,  but corps have to start being "tough cops" immediately.  Those non mm, maybe 99%,  will have no worries about a tough policy, and it will not bother their day to day involvement with the corps.

Edited by Ghost

12 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

When you’ve lost George Dixon, you’ve lost America. Time to go, Dan. (Extra credit to those who remember this was said about Walter Cronkite during the Watergate years)

I don't remember Walter Cronkite saying anything about George Dixon.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I feel the corps can do this.  

Maybe they can.

But without a true governing body there is no way to either adopt or enforce an activity

wide policy.

As has been stated numerous times,currently each corps is an independent entity.

The corps should have some but not all day. The governance needs changed but it won’t hapoen overnight l. First thing I’d do is hire capable PR people and maybe some crisis management people too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

I feel the corps can do this.  Starts with digging deeper into the backgrounds of all non mm.   The corps might have already contacted everyone planning on being around the corps and explained what the mgmt. expects and will do.  But they might need to ask for anyone to come forward with any info they know.  Yes, I know this might open up the possibility of false claims for various reasons,  but corps have to start being "tough cops" immediately.  Those non mm, maybe 99%,  will have no worries about a tough policy, and it will not bother their day to day involvement with the corps.

Why not MMs?    18-21 is also adult.I can also tell you there can be some shady MMs above as well as below 18. If one thinks issues are only from staff to MMs , that is a mistake.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2