Trust and Truth

The problem with current leadership is that they seem to treat the events of the past year as nothing but a PR problem. It’s not. It’s a leadership culture problem. Until they overcome their denial and recognize that, this kind of unforced error will continue. 

People here have said it before, and it’s true; an organizational structure where the board is wholly answerable to the individual corps management will never solve the problem. This is because all of their incentives lie in supporting the “leadership,” and the well-being of the kids gets entirely lost. 

There’s more here than bad PR. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

Why not MMs?    18-21 is also adult.I can also tell you there can be some shady MMs above as well as below 18. If one thinks issues are only from staff to MMs , that is a mistake.

Good point. As someone around many 18-21 year olds on a university campus, I can support that most are wonderful. Some are not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

Why not MMs?    18-21 is also adult.I can also tell you there can be some shady MMs above as well as below 18. If one thinks issues are only from staff to MMs , that is a mistake.

Without first hand knowledge, I was thinking that mm are not sexual predators, at least during a corps season, since such non consensual behavior would be hard to keep secret.

6 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Not sure this required its own thread vs all the others 

to answer your basic premise - no, I do not believe the current events will lead to the loss of DCI and a new circuit 

i do believe Dans days are numbered - he needs to go, if for no other reason than symbolic change 

it’s way past time for new leadership and vision at DCI

additional changes are needed - but typically the “fish goes rotten from the head” so it would be wise to start there 

I mean no disrespect to Dan when I say this (and preface that I'm still angry about the Arsenal debacle), but for what drum corps has become today, along with what is required of an activity like drum corps in our hypersensitive 2019, I just don't think any music educator has the adequate training and know-how to lead DCI.

I'd rather see someone who has run youth summer programs or youth travel program, or national touring music programs, or even someone with massive logistical knowledge from the SCM arena. Every one of those types of leaders could provide benefit to how drum corps do drum corps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone else find it interesting that during the '40's to the '60's, drum corps were mostly sponsored and led by local boy scouts, churches, or veterans groups?  Then, starting in the '60's, it moved away from those sponsors?  Maybe this crisis is the result of no longer centering the activity around leadership that put "good, wholesome values" in front of competitive desire.  I know I've read histories where multiple corps started by local churches didn't care how well the group competed, they cared that the kids were kept off the street and out of trouble when they weren't in school.  Once again, when money and winning become the most important thing, we sacrifice our souls and the future of our children for our short-sightedness.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Does anyone else find it interesting that during the '40's to the '60's, drum corps were mostly sponsored and led by local boy scouts, churches, or veterans groups?  Then, starting in the '60's, it moved away from those sponsors?  Maybe this crisis is the result of no longer centering the activity around leadership that put "good, wholesome values" in front of competitive desire.  I know I've read histories where multiple corps started by local churches didn't care how well the group competed, they cared that the kids were kept off the street and out of trouble when they weren't in school.  Once again, when money and winning become the most important thing, we sacrifice our souls and the future of our children for our short-sightedness.

Don't think that the corps of the past were any different than what has been reported for recent behaviors...if not even worse back then, actually. We are in an era where, hopefully, there is enough oversight and professionalism to make the aberrant behavior go away as much is as is possible.  Back in the past the behaviors we now look on with disgust were not even seen as wrong in some cases, let alone grounds for dismissal or prosecution. Look outside of drum corps at the Catholic church, Hollywood, the business world, etc...

• Like 4

Fist fights between corps and I am sure sexual assaults also occurred except no one did anything back then. This stuff was probably worse than today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Does anyone else find it interesting that during the '40's to the '60's, drum corps were mostly sponsored and led by local boy scouts, churches, or veterans groups?  Then, starting in the '60's, it moved away from those sponsors?  Maybe this crisis is the result of no longer centering the activity around leadership that put "good, wholesome values" in front of competitive desire.  

Many corps broke away from the, primarily Catholic churches, because some corps were told only members of the parish could march in the corps.  The corps wanted to get better talent from other towns or cities. Some parishes could no longer afford the costs as the corps became better and travelled more.  Some of those churches ended up with priests who were eventually found to be predators themselves.  So much for "good, wholesome values".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Don't think that the corps of the past were any different than what has been reported for recent behaviors...if not even worse back then, actually. We are in an era where, hopefully, there is enough oversight and professionalism to make the aberrant behavior go away as much is as is possible.  Back in the past the behaviors we now look on with disgust were not even seen as wrong in some cases, let alone grounds for dismissal or prosecution. Look outside of drum corps at the Catholic church, Hollywood, the business world, etc...

EXACTLY! I thought they were joking with that statement.

• Like 1