Trust and Truth

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

Without first hand knowledge, I was thinking that mm are not sexual predators, at least during a corps season, since such non consensual behavior would be hard to keep secret.

If I am to believe my son's stories from HS (within the last 2 years) there ARE sexual predators there who were his classmates. 

• Like 2

I believe there are a few, maybe more, corps who have policies in place and are diligent about watching what is going on in their ranks.  One I am aware of took immediate steps remedy an issue as soon they learned of it.  No hesitating no waiting.  It may have even been the inkling of an issue and action was taken.  That is how it should be.  Cadets showed how an org can take substantial steps to remedy a very complex mess.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

If I am to believe my son's stories from HS (within the last 2 years) there ARE sexual predators there who were his classmates. 

Which I would guess is why Ghost said  "at least during a corps season". It would be very difficult during the season for a MM to perform in such a manner. Of course, nothing is impossible.

1 minute ago, MikeD said:

Which I would guess is why Ghost said  "at least during a corps season". It would be very difficult during the season for a MM to perform in such a manner. Of course, nothing is impossible.

Think of how long a season is for an MM.  Start in mid May through almost Mid August.  Roughly 14 weeks.  That is plenty of time for a predator.  If there are staff predators are they not preying in the same time frame?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

Without first hand knowledge, I was thinking that mm are not sexual predators, at least during a corps season, since such non consensual behavior would be hard to keep secret.

Problem solved year round drum corps.

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Think of how long a season is for an MM.  Start in mid May through almost Mid August.  Roughly 14 weeks.  That is plenty of time for a predator.  If there are staff predators are they not preying in the same time frame?

I think it would be easier for a staff person to get privacy time, and also convince the person to stay quiet. Not saying it is impossible for a MM to operate as a predator, just that it is less likely. 

43 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I think it would be easier for a staff person to get privacy time, and also convince the person to stay quiet. Not saying it is impossible for a MM to operate as a predator, just that it is less likely. 

There are many parts of the activity DCI is just one... It happens

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Argee Have known of a few at the building I work in. 40 hours a week and still fit in time to groom and try to control. Corps members have bus rides, down time and over nights at sites. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

8 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Does anyone else find it interesting that during the '40's to the '60's, drum corps were mostly sponsored and led by local boy scouts, churches, or veterans groups?  Then, starting in the '60's, it moved away from those sponsors?  Maybe this crisis is the result of no longer centering the activity around leadership that put "good, wholesome values" in front of competitive desire.  I know I've read histories where multiple corps started by local churches didn't care how well the group competed, they cared that the kids were kept off the street and out of trouble when they weren't in school.  Once again, when money and winning become the most important thing, we sacrifice our souls and the future of our children for our short-sightedness.

given the news the last few years about scouts and churches, you really want to go there? Especially a majority of the corps tied to churches were catholic?