Most Missed HOF

3 hours ago, BigW said:

Bucs HoF member Wayne Van Osterbridge was one of them, a great person to be around then as was his brother. Bob Jakubek (SP!?) on Bari and or Contra also marched with the Bucs... Dave Williams on Soprano, Dave Cooper, Ed Watson... Ba-renda,  Other really, really nice folks as well. :thumbup:

Also had a lot of Cadets... Cavies, Scouts, Archie... Westshore...Sun... many corps represented back in the mid-80's period. Now, I'm certain the Bucs, Cadets, and C2 had a real presence, maybe Cabs, unknown on that end of it.

When Brenda tells me about the folks she marched with, I often have to ask her to refresh my memory... did they march together at WCU, Crossmen, Westshoremen, Buccaneers... or some combination of all four!!! 

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

When Brenda tells me about the folks she marched with, I often have to ask her to refresh my memory... did they march together at WCU, Crossmen, Westshoremen, Buccaneers... or some combination of all four!!! 

Yes! Ba-renda and I marched with a lot of strange combinations of Crossmen… BD... Cadets... Bucs... Cavies... Ask Brenda about Alvin P.)... Scouts (Ask Brenda about Joey P. and Teddy)… I liked that aspect of it, a lot of different perspectives and ideas came out and I learned a lot from everyone.

9 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Staff makes a difference. The Western PA big music school (IUP) had a Royal Crusader as only Jr corps rep in mb the year I was in. Sr side had 3 Westshore Horns and a Hanover Guard. Later had Crossmen snare...

IUP later got a lot of kids in that went to midwestern corps

• Thanks 1

Ventures are another special niche corps that hasn’t been replaced (and several other all female corps could be named to this most-missed list as well)

Venture has a very unique look and a serious all-business presence on the competitive field. Uniquely their own!

Often marching some very young members the Venture took full advantage of the longer competition season back in the day 

i believe this is 1990?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the Hawthorne Muchachos in this context, or for that matter, the San Jose Raiders.

Both musical style and visual image were "niche", but I miss that unity of approach and strong identity. So clearly delineated were they that  even if you happened upon them rehearsing in street clothes, there was no mistaking them for anyone else.

Today's priorities are different and distinctions are blurred. That's alright. As the line goes in Casablanca, "We'll always have Paris".

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ironlips said:

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the Hawthorne Muchachos in this context, or for that matter, the San Jose Raiders.

Both musical style and visual image were "niche", but I miss that unity of approach and strong identity. So clearly delineated were they that  even if you happened upon them rehearsing in street clothes, there was no mistaking them for anyone else.

Today's priorities are different and distinctions are blurred. That's alright. As the line goes in Casablanca, "We'll always have Paris".

we're too young LOL

" we're too young LOL "

Agreed. I was thinking of that as I wrote that post.

It does go back to the '70s and mid-'80s after all, but then again, so does Fran Haring.

I believe he played something called a French Horn, and marched when Moses was the drill writer. Lots of wandering around in the desert back then, before electronics.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ironlips said:

" we're too young LOL "

Agreed. I was thinking of that as I wrote that post.

It does go back to the '70s and mid-'80s after all, but then again, so does Fran Haring.

I believe he played something called a French Horn, and marched when Moses was the drill writer. Lots of wandering around in the desert back then, before electronics.

Thankfully for me, after Moses there was Gene Bennett!!  :laughing: One of the best visual designers of that era, for sure.  Gene, not Moses.  LOL.

I miss that "drum corps Frenchie" sound.  It's the main reason I joined Sunrisers for 1977 (after my folks told me I needed to work that summer and not go on tour with Garfield...LOL)... Sun was bringing back French horns after a several-years hiatus.  I had played French horn for five years in junior corps... then spent one miserable year on mellophone. Hated playing mellophone. Mostly because I sucked at  it.  :tongue: