Most Missed HOF

Who remembers the Glassmen though?

• Like 3

Whenever a question of corps I miss comes up, 27th is always my first choice. I loved the look, the Classic Jim Wedge arrangements, the amazing color guard, and “Danny Boy.” 

I would also like to mention two other Bay State corps I miss. I loved North Star. They were great and while they did peak a bit too early in 1979, there were shows where they could pack a punch and catch competitors as 27th, BAC, Bridgemen, Cadets when they were Garfield Cadets, and Madison (1979 CYO Nationals) knew all too well. Their special legacy: they knew how to entertain, in a more straightforward way than Bridgemen, but they could captivate an audience.

A corps that was beginning to climb but is often forgotten outside of Massachusetts is Holy Family Defenders. They knew how to be loud during the era of how loud can you get? 

Now if there is a local corps I wish I saw live, it is St. Mary’s Cardinals of Beverly, MA. Completely biased here: it’s my current assignment and if I am in the rectory dining room, there is a mural depicting a parade in Downtown Beverly with the Cardinals leading the way. I can start each morning with a cup of coffee and drum corps. Great legacy: the alums have been hosting a show for a number of years that has raised money for scholarships and over $100,000 has been given to kids who march drum corps and local high school students!  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BassClefTristan said:

They placed fifth three times.

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

They placed fifth three times.

And made finals every year but two between 1993 and 2010. 

14 hours ago, George Dixon said:

87 Sky Ryders WSS

That still tops my list as the best 12th-place show ever. Wonderful, from beginning to end. 

• Like 2

On 1/20/2019 at 6:05 PM, BassClefTristan said:

I do! I admit that I was not very fond of their shows (I enjoyed watching them, but they didn't grab me... except for their 2010 show. Really enjoyed that show!). But I do miss them... my senior year marching uniforms were based off of their uniforms and they looked wonderful!