Most Missed HOF

13 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Not me.  I competed against them.

Me too.... If  by "competed against the Muchachos" you mean getting crushed by 20-30 points every time we saw them. :laughing:  We were a local-circuit corps... in over our heads at any national show like the World Open.  The Muchachos were the real deal, early to mid-1970s.  All the "what-ifs" with them. A big loss when they went away. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Me too.... If  by "competed against the Muchachos" you mean getting crushed by 20-30 points every time we saw them. :laughing:  We were a local-circuit corps... in over our heads at any national show like the World Open.  The Muchachos were the real deal, early to mid-1970s.  All the "what-ifs" with them. A big loss when they went away. 

In my first corps, yes.  But by 1976...

9 hours ago, ironlips said:

" we're too young LOL "

Agreed. I was thinking of that as I wrote that post.

It does go back to the '70s and mid-'80s after all, but then again, so does Fran Haring.

I believe he played something called a French Horn, and marched when Moses was the drill writer. Lots of wandering around in the desert back then, before electronics.

I was around back then, but for DCI i didn't have as much exposure to everyone as i did with DCA

Edited by Jeff Ream

I'm practically a baby compared to ^ this bunch

I saw my first DCI show in 1974 and didn't really start following the activity until 82 - and in 85 I started going out on tours and helping corps, so that's when I got more serious about seeing lots of corps from the various regions - back when DCI had "regions"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I'm practically a baby compared to ^ this bunch

I saw my first DCI show in 1974 and didn't really start following the activity until 82 - and in 85 I started going out on tours and helping corps, so that's when I got more serious about seeing lots of corps from the various regions - back when DCI had "regions"

Heh... hey, I'm proud that Frank singled me out as an old-timer!!!!  :tongue:

1982??? Wow.... that was my last year marching. Now I really feel like an old-timer. LOL

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Heh... hey, I'm proud that Frank singled me out as an old-timer!!!!  :tongue:

1982??? Wow.... that was my last year marching. Now I really feel like an old-timer. LOL

I was 20 then but in graduate school / my whole "marching years" got screwed up as I went to college year round from 15-21

HS was a trumpet for band and french in symphonic - BIG band program in my school, did Macy's, Orange Bowl Parade, Peach Parade, Kentucky Derby Fest etc all in my 2.5 years of HS

But yes - I'm a baby compared to you old timers lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I was 20 then but in graduate school / my whole "marching years" got screwed up as I went to college year round from 15-21

HS was a trumpet for band and french in symphonic - BIG band program in my school, did Macy's, Orange Bowl Parade, Peach Parade, Kentucky Derby Fest etc all in my 2.5 years of HS

But yes - I'm a baby compared to you old timers lol

Not quite a regret here... "regret" is a strong word... but I wish I had devoted more time to college and less time to drum corps back in the day.

If I had, I wouldn't have had to pick up my college work in 1998 (after going on "hiatus" in 1980....LOL)... finally getting my bachelor's degree in 2005.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Not quite a regret here... "regret" is a strong word... but I wish I had devoted more time to college and less time to drum corps back in the day.

If I had, I wouldn't have had to pick up my college work in 1998 (after going on "hiatus" in 1980....LOL)... finally getting my bachelor's degree in 2005.

Interesting. My education has served me very well, someday I’d love to fund a new corps. I regret what I missed out on during those years - I think that’s why the activity remains so important to me 

• Like 2