Best/Most Memorable Drill Moments in DCI

13 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Honestly there really hasn't been any awe inspiring drill these last few years...I've even spoken with a few drill writers about this as well as that's not really how they are writing shows these days...

And that makes me sad.........I miss the no props needed shows.

• Like 4

I've always been very partial to company fronts, as well. Some of my favorites are:

SCV 1989

Cavaliers 1992

Scouts 1995-rotating

Scouts 1997

• Like 2

In the Cavaliers James Bond show, I admired the falling olive in the cocktail glass. I think it was a rotating group of 4 snares gently tumbling down through the square brass block.

The hypnotic backfield zipper drill in Cadets Angels and Demons.

Sadly, the poignant scene in Madison's NY show when the narrow block formations rushed and collapsed toward the front sidelines.

Phantom Regiment's running Spartacus finale.

SCV's Les Miserables scene when only the color guard was on the field during Bring Him Home. The entire brass and percussion had quietly disappeared into the backfield backdrops.

The changes in Bluecoats Tilt ending.  Early season, several guard members completed the right to left ramp run on many ramps, field wide. Changing the drill to have only running Bluecoat marcher was thrilling.

Honorable mention to everything I can't immediately recall.

Edited by DeanInChicago
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

Honestly there really hasn't been any awe inspiring drill these last few years...I've even spoken with a few drill writers about this as well as that's not really how they are writing shows these days...

it's about staging now

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I dunno about "best", but I've always liked the drill at the end of the opener for Regiment in 89.  Wild motion, culminating in an in your face company front.  For that matter, a LOT of the 93 show should be considered., from the flying crabstep to fire of eternal glory to the "How in the name of God did they do THAT?" of the closing bars of Death Hunt.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Liahona said:

This saddens me because some of those drills from the mid 80's to about 2009 or so were a work of art. Cavaliers and Cadets drills come to mind. 

• Like 3

On 1/23/2019 at 7:14 AM, tesmusic said:

Troopers Sunburst

I guess we can close this thread now. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 8:36 AM, Fran Haring said:

Pre-DCI... 1971 Blue Rock, their "wheel over the finish line" in their "Requiem for the Masses" closer.  A relatively simple move, but devastatingly effective.

That was on my list, even though technically pre-DCI as you said.

Cadet's Peace Sign, started in 1970, and went into the DCI era.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

You're right... the video shows them over the line. I seem to remember them "wheeling" over the line earlier that season. Could very well be wrong.  I definitely remember that final move... the "block march" through the end zone while playing their closing fanfare.  Different from what most corps did back then... the "park and blow" from the end zone.

Where's Mike Davis when we need a confirm/deny here???? :tongue:

Gotta say I thought the same in my memory. But the World Open video shows otherwise. The color film in the video looks like the Dream, also earlier in the year. The VFW video on YT is prelims, so they did a short show with no wheel. 

• Like 1