Best/Most Memorable Drill Moments in DCI

8 hours ago, MikeD said:

That was on my list, even though technically pre-DCI as you said.

Cadet's Peace Sign, started in 1970, and went into the DCI era.

"Drum Corps Drill":

Almost anything prior to the "Staging & Dance" era qualifies.  27th Lancers had some great drill by Zengali as did Star of Indiana.  Santa Clara's drills by Trooper alum Pete Emmons were always great (And trend setters) as were those of Jim Jones written for the Troopers.

Elphaba     :flower:

Edited by elphaba01
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Gotta say I thought the same in my memory. But the World Open video shows otherwise. The color film in the video looks like the Dream, also earlier in the year. The VFW video on YT is prelims, so they did a short show with no wheel. 

I was there for World Open finals that year..... I guess my memory of the event is not as good as I thought!!!   LOL

One thing for sure... that was the first time I saw several corps, including Santa Clara, Anaheim, Blue Stars, and Argonne.  I had very little clue about those corps before that, other than knowing SCV had won the AL national title in 1970. Wow, did they all make a great first impression on me!!!

• Like 1

This is my personal favorite memory... because it was the first DCI show I saw live from up high....2012 Crossmen Fragile when they hit their insignia out of nowhere and floated it across the field.

I am of the opinion that the best drill in DCI has to be any one of the many moments from the cavaliers 00-06 shows. They really pushed drill to the limit and it's the gold standard to me. Maybe because 99-07 was my high school college days and those guys were on top the whole time.

8 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I was there for World Open finals that year..... I guess my memory of the event is not as good as I thought!!!   LOL

One thing for sure... that was the first time I saw several corps, including Santa Clara, Anaheim, Blue Stars, and Argonne.  I had very little clue about those corps before that, other than knowing SCV had won the AL national title in 1970. Wow, did they all make a great first impression on me!!!

I have the entire 71 World Open finals DVD from drumcorpsvideos.com before they shut down. They are the great Haas family videos. I saw Argonne a few times throughout 71. I got to be quite friendly with a few of their members, actually. Very nice folks. We were on a par with them overall, flipping 6th and 7th positions between the WO and VFW Nats. An amazing hornline! We are doing Barnum and Bailey their opener, in the community band I play with.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I have the entire 71 World Open finals DVD from drumcorpsvideos.com before they shut down. They are the great Haas family videos. I saw Argonne a few times throughout 71. I got to be quite friendly with a few of their members, actually. Very nice folks. We were on a par with them overall, flipping 6th and 7th positions between the WO and VFW Nats. An amazing hornline! We are doing Barnum and Bailey their opener, in the community band I play with.

That was a great chart for Argonne.

What a horn line they had... state of the art for that era!!!  I think Truman Crawford did some of the arranging for them in those days.

45 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

That was a great chart for Argonne.  What a horn line they had... state of the art for that era!!!  I think Truman Crawford did some of the arranging for them in those days.

Was Sandra Opie also an arranger for them?

19 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Was Sandra Opie also an arranger for them?

I believe she arranged but she is better known as an instructor. One of the very best in the late 60s and early 70s.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 3

My favorite drill move is the rotating pyramid in Crown's 2013 show, "e=mc2". I've never been able to see the hidden image in those "magic eye" (autostereogram) pictures, so for Crown to make a moving 3-D drill visible to me was amazing. My favorite overall drill package is Cavs' 2008 show, "Samurai". But lots of the choices others have mentioned are superb.

• Like 1