Old Drum Stuff

42 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

1990 Cavies bass line grip 🤣🤣🤣🤣 (nothing but love for them though)

The club grip for snare drummers is also required to produce the back-sticking double-stroke.

Edited by Stu

4 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

1990 Cavies bass line grip 🤣🤣🤣🤣 (nothing but love for them though)

I taught a member of that snare line. I asked him about the basses approach and he said it was called "the club baby seals" approach

12 hours ago, Stu said:

The club grip for snare drummers is also required to produce the back-sticking double-stroke

Yep. We had some pretty "cool" stuff bitd with snare lines. Then suddenly tenors decided they could do visuals too and BOOM. I remember at CV it literally got to be a contest for how many visuals could the quads get in before finals night. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Yep. We had some pretty "cool" stuff bitd with snare lines. Then suddenly tenors decided they could do visuals too and BOOM. I remember at CV it literally got to be a contest for how many visuals could the quads get in before finals night. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Note that I am a snare drummer as you read the following: We have for years created visuals such as back-sticking, snare drum-to-drum motion, split-line rolls, toss-stick juggling, non of which are musical choices but merely visual. Is it no wonder then when the visual staff are confused  and think we are hypocritical when we bark at doing visual motion?

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

Note that I am a snare drummer as you read the following: We have for years created visuals such as back-sticking, snare drum-to-drum motion, split-line rolls, toss-stick juggling, non of which are musical choices but merely visual. Is it no wonder then when the visual staff are confused  and think we are hypocritical when we bark at doing visual motion?

Oh I don't disagree. I like the motion now. At the same time I'm glad we didn't have to do it in the mid 80s through the early 90s. My back barely survived as it is! Favorite stick toss by the way was the "Aneheim."

Here's one for fellow old snare drummers.

Rogers, Ludwig or Slingerland? Your fave.

The Slingerland TDR 100 was the best sounding snare in my day, but man oh man, those things were high maintenance to get them that way.