SCV 1999 still the BEST SCV Ever?

For me, 1987 is my favorite SCV show, and 1988-1989 their most iconic. There are a few not their greatest years, a few bizarre which I understand is a matter of opinion, but far more memorable shows. That being said, 1999 is not a show I watch over and over, so when I watched it last night, I forgot what a gem it is and the precision impressed me.  I might agree it is their cleanest show which is easier to see without props, and demonstrates that SCV carefully designed and executed every moment with few frills, but I think SCV does it best with more spectacle productions and great classical music.

Which is the one with the young lady levitating on a broomstick?

I never saw it live, but on the video, that was a really cool trick.

I can easily see how this show can be seen as SCV's best show. The drill is absolutely amazing and their version of Blue Shades is amazing! But for me I have to give the nod to their 1989 show. That show has so much energy and sooo much emotion. Not to mention how clean they marched that drill! And may I remind everyone how awesome the 1989 season was!!! 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 5:59 PM, George Dixon said:

Just went back and watched it - remembering what it was like live

What do you think - even after 2018's SCV - is 1999 the BEST SCV ever?

What?  No vocalists?  No props?  No field mikes or amplified soloists?

What is this sorcery?

50 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I can easily see how this show can be seen as SCV's best show. The drill is absolutely amazing and their version of Blue Shades is amazing! But for me I have to give the nod to their 1989 show. That show has so much energy and sooo much emotion. Not to mention how clean they marched that drill! And may I remind everyone how awesome the 1989 season was!!! 

I love the ‘99 music but the drill triggers every OCD alarm in me.  It was so exposed that you could see everything.  It was very bold, however.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, WaxDCIFan said:

What?  No vocalists?  No props?  No field mikes or amplified soloists?

What is this sorcery?

SCV's 1999 " Inventions For a New Millenium " was 20 years ago.  Its an old  " New Millenium". The newer, " New Millenium " is 2019. The old " New Millenium " will no longer work well with the old judges that are still judging The old Millennials Inventions in DCI today.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

SCV's 1999 " Inventions For a New Millenium " was 20 years ago.  Its an old  " New Millenium". The newer, " New Millenium " is 2019. The old " New Millenium " will no longer work well with the old judges that are still judging The Old Millennials Inventions in DCI today.

That explains everything 👍

10 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

SCV's 1999 " Inventions For a New Millenium " was 20 years ago.  Its an old  " New Millenium". The newer, " New Millenium " is 2019. The old " New Millenium " will no longer work well with the old judges that are still judging the newer " New Millenials " Inventions in DCI now.

SCV 2019 “Inventions for New Millenials”

(although I believe current marchers are no longer considered to be millennials.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

(although I believe current marchers are no longer considered to be millennials.)

Go gently with the " Gen Z's ". They get to choose our nursing homes.

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2019 at 5:19 PM, Terri Schehr said:

They made me cry in Atlanta.  The ending...

I’m glad I was able to assist. I made direct eye contact with one spectator in Row 2 during that push and held his gaze for 5-6 counts...he went to pieces. IIRC that was the only time SCV marched only 4 lead baritones; we went back to a 6/6/6 split the following year with two of us doubling on Frenchie parts in opener. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1