SCV 1999 still the BEST SCV Ever?

29 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

They were struggling to figure out their identity. I agree that those years never quite worked. Until recently, 99 was the last show that really felt like “SCV” to me.

really? 00-04 didn't?

99 won my SCV poll for best show last year. FWIW.

I didn't see '99 live so I can't really say. Both are special shows with exemplary performances but with the exception of '99s opener and '18s front ensemble both were a little too sterile for me to get REALLY attached to.

I get more pure enjoyment out of 87-89 SCV. I would say the best group to perform would be a toss up between 99 and 18 though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThePlanets said:

99 won my SCV poll for best show last year. FWIW.

I didn't see '99 live so I can't really say. Both are special shows with exemplary performances but with the exception of '99s opener and '18s front ensemble both were a little too sterile for me to get REALLY attached to.

I get more pure enjoyment out of 87-89 SCV. I would say the best group to perform would be a toss up between 99 and 18 though.

I did.  99 SCV just had that emotion... kinda like Phantom 96.  ironically both tied for first with BD those years

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

really? 00-04 didn't?

00 - overall meh show with one standout moment

01 - cheese city after the admittedly cool opener

02 - nothing exciting going on here

03 - decent idea, execution not so much 

04 - great show that I learned most of (before I had to quit day before move in) but it always felt like more of a Phantom-style production to me 

I think what I mean is that SCV’s design philosophy was all over the place after 99. Even your example range they were practically a different corps every single year. Then after the 05 disaster they really didn’t seem to know what to do, just throwing styles at the wall to see what would stick.

Poaching all the Cavalier design guys was a smart move. 😆

51 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

00 - overall meh show with one standout moment

01 - cheese city after the admittedly cool opener

02 - nothing exciting going on here

03 - decent idea, execution not so much 

04 - great show that I learned most of (before I had to quit day before move in) but it always felt like more of a Phantom-style production to me 

I think what I mean is that SCV’s design philosophy was all over the place after 99. Even your example range they were practically a different corps every single year. Then after the 05 disaster they really didn’t seem to know what to do, just throwing styles at the wall to see what would stick.

Poaching all the Cavalier design guys was a smart move. 😆

just as others poached the gang that made SCV what they became..Fred, Ralph, Emmons and more.

and what i loved about 96-04 was that they changed every year in several ways...they were being VANGUARD!

22 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Just went back and watched it - remembering what it was like live

What do you think - even after 2018's SCV - is 1999 the BEST SCV ever?

Yes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigW said:

They had a recent patch where they just seem to decide to get obtuse and weird, and thankfully got away from it. The show about "3" and "Moto Perpetuo" come to mind. Neat ideas here and there, but just... odd.

I liked "3" a lot. To me it reads as a forerunner of Buccaneers' "ConZENtric".

I would have this way up on the list for sure.  Still remember seeing it early that year on the West Coast and it was one of a few shows that I saw live early on and knew I was watching that season's champions.  In my defense,, I did not see BD that year until much later in the season.  And we know how that ended up . . . 

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm not huge on "3hree," but I find the closer to be very underrated.

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Better moments and meaning to ConZENtric. Far, far more accessible. The only thing I really got out of the '3' show was the neat spinning form at the end of the program. As for "Moto"... I liked the guy that marched around. It just kind of was... there. Mr. Moto's interview with the young lady on the QF simulcast, priceless.