In addition the criminal charges against GH

10 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I sometimes forget that a lot of folks from the NE and Mid-West post here and have a lot of Germanic roots (because I live in the deep south where very few Germans live.) I love it here but it's not exactly common for people to speak German unless it's at the VW plant. In fact, my two German friends at work and I will Skype each other in German when we want to talk trash about someone and don't want them to know what we're actually saying.

We got PA German here which is different from German German 😉. But then you have the high and low German which never was explained to me very well. Supposedly PA German hasn’t changed as much over the centuries but not sure.

Took German in HS and college thinking that was my heritage. Took DNA test last year and found out I’m over 3/4 UK.... oops

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

We got PA German here which is different from German German 😉. But then you have the high and low German which never was explained to me very well. Supposedly PA German hasn’t changed as much over the centuries but not sure.

Took German in HS and college thinking that was my heritage. Took DNA test last year and found out I’m over 3/4 UK.... oops

In a very watered down way, High German is mostly spoken in central and southern Germany. I know Yiddish is a sub-dialect. Low German is basically northern and coastal. I'm from Hamm which is northwest close to Munster so my dialect is low German. It's basically a consonant thing. My father was from Berlin and seemed to be more of a mix of standard and high German. 

OH!! George Hopkins (for topic sake) 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

In a very watered down way, High German is mostly spoken in central and southern Germany. I know Yiddish is a sub-dialect. Low German is basically northern and coastal. I'm from Hamm which is northwest close to Munster so my dialect is low German. It's basically a consonant thing. My father was from Berlin and seemed to be more of a mix of standard and high German. 

OH!! George Hopkins (for topic sake) 

We are going to the Black Forest area in southern Germany this spring, flying in to Stuttgart, while visiting our daughter in London. Our daughter's partner is a Greek gal, but her family moved to Germany when she was small, so she was brought up there. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MikeD said:

We are going to the Black Forest area in southern Germany this spring, flying in to Stuttgart, while visiting our daughter in London. Our daughter's partner is a Greek gal, but her family moved to Germany when she was small, so she was brought up there. 

If you get a chance and have never been there, try and swing by Munich (especially at night.) It's pretty stunning. My favorite place as a very young man was actually Cornwall, UK. Even almost 37 years later, my memories of living there for a few months are quite vivid.

Oh, and GH hired a gentleman named Andrew German for brass staff one year. Now we're on topic because I tied in German and GH. It's like the 6 degrees of George Hopkins!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MikeD said:

I thought I heard you once say "Hawthorne Caballeros, sie machen das Feld im Wettbewerb!"    :dancin:  

In 2013, if Heartliner from Germany had made DCA Class A finals, or was allowed to do an exhibition at that show, I was planning to announce them in German and English.  Channeling my inner Wes Hobby.... LOL... he used to announce the various French-Canadian corps in English and French.

Unfortunately, Heartliner was not in the night show.

I would have needed help from a Heartliner staffer on the German.  LOL.  My dad's side of the family is German.... but I gotta admit, I have pretty much forgotten most of the German language I learned in high school.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

If you get a chance and have never been there, try and swing by Munich (especially at night.) It's pretty stunning. My favorite place as a very young man was actually Cornwall, UK. Even almost 37 years later, my memories of living there for a few months are quite vivid.

Oh, and GH hired a gentleman named Andrew German for brass staff one year. Now we're on topic because I tied in German and GH. It's like the 6 degrees of George Hopkins!

Visited Germany in 2006 when my nephew was in the U.S. Army there. The upper part of Bavaria... Nurnberg, Wurzburg, thereabouts. I would love to get back someday.

Andrew is now the band director at Downingtown East H.S. in PA!!!

As an aside... Johns Hopkins is the famed medical institution in Baltimore.  Since the word "Hopkins" is in there, this should keep the thread on track. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

As an aside... Johns Hopkins is the famed medical institution in Baltimore.  Since the word "Hopkins" is in there, this should keep the thread on track

Well played sir....well played indeed! Brittany and I were just up in Baltimore a few weeks ago. I thought Atlanta driving was frustrating.....

1 minute ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Well played sir....well played indeed! Brittany and I were just up in Baltimore a few weeks ago. I thought Atlanta driving was frustrating.....

And the DC metro area is far worse than Baltimore.  DC is far worse than anything I've ever experienced... and I lived in the NYC metro area for more than 30 years.

NYC traffic is almost like a day off compared to DC. LOL

2 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

And the DC metro area is far worse than Baltimore.  DC is far worse than anything I've ever experienced... and I lived in the NYC metro area for more than 30 years.

NYC traffic is almost like a day off compared to DC. LOL

We were going to drive into DC and hit up the Smithsonian but alas, it closed the day we got in and reopened the day we left. Considering that Britt is 20 years younger than I am, she was pretty gung-ho about just heading up to DC anyways and seeing whatever we could see. I'm far more practical and middle age has brought out my road rage. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

In 2013, if Heartliner from Germany had made DCA Class A finals, or was allowed to do an exhibition at that show, I was planning to announce them in German and English.  Channeling my inner Wes Hobby.... LOL... he used to announce the various French-Canadian corps in English and French.

Unfortunately, Heartliner was not in the night show.

I would have needed help from a Heartliner staffer on the German.  LOL.  My dad's side of the family is German.... but I gotta admit, I have pretty much forgotten most of the German language I learned in high school.

High school and college teaches high German. Found out in community college when a young lady who was bilingual (English/German) skipped German I to go in my German II class. After a week or so she was lost and her and instructor realized she was fluent in low German but not High. 

Only #### thing I remember from that class. Weird part was hs German teacher had parents who were Hitler Youth (“you did that so you could eat”). And one college German prof was Holocaust survivor and we watched the late 70s mini series on that in her home.

Did  a lot of training in northern VA. Any downtown DC travel was done by Metro subway. Park way out and ride in...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
Spelling