In addition the criminal charges against GH

36 minutes ago, BigW said:

Pennsylvania Dutch is 16th century German from the Palatinate/Pfalz region of Germany where the Amish came from. They can understand "Hochdeutsch"/modern German just fine. The trick is the goofy dialectal stuff, which to me sounds a lot like Bayerisch/Bavarian dialect which sounds like you have "stuff" in your mouth.... :innocent:

I made the mistake of referring to this as "gypsy German" once and my father slapped the #### out of me. 

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Different situation but always the moral question right? My grandfather was an electrical engineer in Austria. When the Germans came and rounded up scientists in the late 1930's, they didn't ask if you were German. That was part of the vetting process that the SS was supposed to perform. By 1942, that vetting process was so bogged down that it allowed time for many scientists to escape and make their way west to the U.S. My grandfather had no children, no wife or fiance and no desire to help the Nazi's. He did, though, wish to survive and help to end the war. So as I stated, completely different situations. If the situation would have been similar, I cannot say what would have been decided. Scientists were rounded up en masse, drafted like any other and forced to do whatever they were told to do. As soon as he had an avenue to escape, he did so. 

Oh....and in the family tradition, my brother is a Nuclear Theorist and thankfully, a complete pacifist.  

Ya missed my point. You said they had no choice; sorry but every last one of them who 'complyed' to help the German cause had a choice. Whether engineers, soldiers, scientists, et al does not matter. Some chose to comply for self survival, some chose to sacrafice themselves. But they did indeed have a choice.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Pennsylvania Dutch is 16th century German from the Palatinate/Pfalz region of Germany where the Amish came from. They can understand "Hochdeutsch"/modern German just fine. The trick is the goofy dialectal stuff, which to me sounds a lot like Bayerisch/Bavarian dialect which sounds like you have "stuff" in your mouth.... :innocent:

I was surprised to learn that the Amish and Mennonites have historically made up a relatively small percentage of the overall PA Dutch population. All sorts of groups, like the Moravians and so forth.

Brenda and I went to a service last summer at the Moravian church in Bethlehem, PA. Wonderful. A very relaxed, friendly vibe.

The Moravians are known for their emphasis on music, and in particular their trombone choirs. This service featured two excellent trombone players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Ya missed my point. You said they had no choice; sorry but every last one of them who 'complyed' to help the German cause had a choice. Whether engineers, soldiers, scientists, et al does not matter. Some chose to comply for self survival, some chose to sacrafice themselves. But they did indeed have a choice.

I didn't miss your point at all Stu. I simply don't agree with you're opinion on this matter and chose to take the higher ground. Let's take this offline as it will only lead to a disagreement. The choices of others, especially in a time of war are not ours to judge, certainly not yours or mine as we weren't present. 

Thanks though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Stu said:

Let's drop this in the name of peace and try to agree on the following: George Hopkins was likely an orgre while director of the Cadets!!

I agree 1000% lolololol

I’m ☘️ Irish!

Our big moral dilemma is do we drink Jameson or Bushmills?

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I was surprised to learn that the Amish and Mennonites have historically made up a relatively small percentage of the overall PA Dutch population. All sorts of groups, like the Moravians and so forth.

Brenda and I went to a service last summer at the Moravian church in Bethlehem, PA. Wonderful. A very relaxed, friendly vibe.

The Moravians are known for their emphasis on music, and in particular their trombone choirs. This service featured two excellent trombone players. 

Based on the Hussites and the Czech Jan Zizka, a rather interesting figure in history.