Question for Moderators regarding the Hopocalypse & its fallout

2 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

The only auto racing I actually enjoy watching from time to time is Formula One, on those road courses, through city streets, etc.  Those guys are hardcore... racing in the rain, the dark, whatever.

And the sponsorship dollars involved there... insane. I think Formula One might be printing its own money.  LOL.

it was cool when they ran those in B-more

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

That's pretty cool. I have nothing against NASCAR at all... just not my cup of tea.

There is so much science and art and strategy. It’s cool if you get the headset so you can listen to the team talk (driver, crew chief, spotter) during the race! The cars are so close in their performance... it’s a drivers race.  I had never seen a race but live close to TMS.  I tried to get on the track and drive around one cold January day... the guard stopped me, and instead gave me a tour. Then introduced me to management and because I’m so friendly and affable, offered me a job. So twice a year for 4 days... I’m a NASCAR employee. I didn’t know the drivers/owners, but now I do. Great people. Lots of fun! Anyone near TMS, I can get you a pass! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

it was cool when they ran those in B-more

I don''t think that was Formula One. It was part of the IndyCar Series. Still cool, though.

Formula One is that stuff on steroids.  LOL.

This thread is talking about... NASCAR? I must have missed something! Lol

13 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I don''t think that was Formula One. It was part of the IndyCar Series. Still cool, though.

Formula One is that stuff on steroids.  LOL.

Years back was in Toronto and the course was laid out near the lake. Whadda mess trying to get thru it was so huge.

Near the Hockey Hall of Fame which was our plans for the day.

Weird part was driving around one evening there was a corps show going on. If we didn’t have my cousin with us we would have pulled in to check it out.

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Years back was in Toronto and the course was laid out near the lake. Whadda mess trying to get thru it was so huge.

Near the Hockey Hall of Fame which was our plans for the day.

Weird part was driving around one evening there was a corps show going on. If we didn’t have my cousin with us we would have pulled in to check it out.

Still OT, I know...LOL... but for a while, several years back, Germany's Formula One superstar Michael Schumacher was the highest-paid sports star in the world  (combining prize money and endorsements).... ahead of Tiger Woods in his prime years. That is rarified air!!!

• Like 1

Wow just realized our Toronto trip was in the mid 1980s. Not sure what kind of corps show we passed but might have been a good north of the border line up.

As reference we went to a Blue Jays game one night in the old CFL out door stadium. No wonder Dave Winfield killed a sea gull with a ball. Brightest lights in the city and those feathered rats ringed the top of the stadium wall until people started leaving. Then they just hopped down the steps and seats to eat their full. Current Sky Dome was in the earth moving stage

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, Lancer79 said:

I work for NASCAR as the concierge to the drivers and give garage tours... So, I won’t be boycotting NASCAR or DCI. Both are great activities, though I’ve never really been a spectator much.

A buddy of mine was friends with Lake Speed and we spend a lot of time in the 90s at races when he was driving the "Spam Can." It was fun. Even visited Lakes shop a few times. Small world indeed. 

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I haven't been to NASCAR either - but I'm thinking of joining your boycott 

More or less gave up on NASCAR after a rather odd experience at Richmond. When my Dad and I ended up thanking the Virginia State Trooper for defusing a situation involving a drunk Jeff Gordon fan and his Brother in Law that got to the point Dad and I were worried we'd have to fight our way out...we found Indy Car MUCH more enjoyable to attend as well as what is now known as IMSA.

15 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

A buddy of mine was friends with Lake Speed and we spend a lot of time in the 90s at races when he was driving the "Spam Can." It was fun. Even visited Lakes shop a few times. Small world indeed. 

Lake was a good guy who made good advantage of the Hoosier tires when they allowed that. :satisfied:

• Haha 1