Question for Moderators regarding the Hopocalypse & its fallout

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wow just realized our Toronto trip was in the mid 1980s. Not sure what kind of corps show we passed but might have been a good north of the border line up.

As reference we went to a Blue Jays game one night in the old CFL out door stadium. No wonder Dave Winfield killed a sea gull with a ball. Brightest lights in the city and those feathered rats ringed the top of the stadium wall until people started leaving. Then they just hopped down the steps and seats to eat their full. Current Sky Dome was in the earth moving stage

Good old Exhibition Stadium. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BigW said:

More or less gave up on NASCAR after a rather odd experience at Richmond. When my Dad and I ended up thanking the Virginia State Trooper for defusing a situation involving a drunk Jeff Gordon fan and his Brother in Law that got to the point Dad and I were worried we'd have to fight our way out...we found Indy Car MUCH more enjoyable to attend as well as what is now known as IMSA.

I stay out of the stands. Hard core is kinda scary. 

5 hours ago, crownisking said:

I know attendance has been trending upwards but if DCP is any indication, perhaps this year we may see a number of fans decide to stay home. I know how crazy that sounds but I’ve also seen multiple people on different platforms say the same thing. Could they calm down by the start of the season and decide to support DCI anyway? I guess we’ll all know soon enough.

DCP isn't an indication.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCP isn't an indication.

Yep. How many people outside of DCP or DCW readers even known this is going on? Will be interresting when thery ask where is pionner and OC.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Who is doing a NASCAR show this summer?  I am guessing the music would include Greased Lightning and Camptown Races.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DeanInChicago said:

Who is doing a NASCAR show this summer?  I am guessing the music would include Greased Lightning and Camptown Races.

I know you likely meant this as a joke, and yes we need to be jovial even about ourselves. The image of NASCAR is propetuated by the media, and the history of rough/tumble backwoods prohibition era liqueur runs is celebrated. However, many within NASCAR teams today have Mechanical, Aerodynamical, and Structural Engeneering degrees including drivers like Ryan Newman and Crew Chiefs like John Klausmeier. Even most crew members, mechanics, and fabricators have Technical degrees and/or Bachelors degrees. In fact I would venture to say that, due to the size and scope of the industry, there are way more Advance Degreed individuals within NASCAR now than DCI. But that is not really why I typed this post.

The thing is this: many degreed individuals within the marching arts get irritated at those outside who belittle marching bands and drum corps; yet these are the same degreed folks who are quick to belittle others who engage in industries like NASCAR. Is it fine to poke and have fun? Sure. But those in the marching arts who get mad when it is pointed back at them just need to take a deep breath, relax, and laugh. Because DCI being seen as geeky marching band is just as funny as the NASCAR image of Mater in the movie Cars!!

Edited by Stu
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Stu said:

I know you likely meant this as a joke, and yes we need to be jovial even about ourselves. The image of NASCAR is propetuated by the media, and the history of rough/tumble backwoods prohibition era liqueur runs is celebrated. However, many within NASCAR teams today have Mechanical, Aerodynamical, and Structural Engeneering degrees including drivers like Ryan Newman and Crew Chiefs like John Klausmeier. Even most crew members, mechanics, and fabricators have Technical degrees and/or Bachelors degrees. In fact I would venture to say that, due to the size and scope of the industry, there are way more Advance Degreed individuals within NASCAR now than DCI. But that is not really why I typed this post.

The thing is this: many degreed individuals within the marching arts get irritated at those outside who belittle marching bands and drum corps; yet these are the same degreed folks who are quick to belittle others who engage in industries like NASCAR. Is it fine to poke and have fun? Sure. But those in the marching arts who get mad when it is pointed back at them just need to take a deep breath, relax, and laugh. Because DCI beingseen as geeky marching band is just as funny as the NASCAR image of Mater in the movie Cars!!

Stu, what an intelligent post. As I am on the inside of NASCAR and have been in Drum Corps. The excellence of both activities is off the charts. I love giving tours because I involve the fans both young and old in the science, art and excellent people involved. I make sure the kids get real souvenirs, like lug nuts. DCI needs more ambassadors of the excellence of the activity. That has been my message for months about DCI, to build and market an bigger and more inclusive tent. There will always be waves, the challenge is to find ways to use the energy of the wave, not let everyone and everything drown in it!!! We are ALL so much smarter than that. DCI could learn something from NASCAR in the area of Public Relations and outreach.

Edited by Lancer79

3 minutes ago, Lancer79 said:

Stu, what an intelligent post. As I am on the inside of NASCAR and have been in Drum Corps. The excellence of both activities is off the charts. I love giving tours because I involve the fans both young and old in the science, art and excellent people involved. I make sure the kids get real souvenirs, like lug nuts. DCI needs more ambassadors of the excellence of the activity. That has been my message for months about DCI, to build and market an bigger and more inclusive tent. There will always be waves, the challenge is to find ways to use the energy of the wave, not let everyone and everything drown in it!!! We are ALL so much smarter than that. DCI could learn something from NASCAR. 

Mind you I am saying this as a racing fan since the days of David Pearson and Wendell Wallace. Over the years I have attended tracks like Daytona, Talladega, Bristol, even TMS during the times when the grandstands were way overcapacity sellouts! DCI sure could learn something from today's NASCAR alright; how to lose droves of fans, suffer under massive yearly expenditures going in the red year after year, and flounder in image remake aftet image remake. None of the tracks are anywhere at grandstand capacity and many tracks have eliminated seats on the back straightaways and turns to blunt the poor TV optics. Neither the corporation nor any of the teams have ran in the financial black for a number of years; the tens of millions of dollars each year it takes (just per car) let alone the massive cost of running the corporation means that sponsorships now come and go like a revolving door. Rule change after rule change in both racing format and car structure have not yielded bringing fans back either. And if this all sounds familiar on a smaller scale called DCI then you are correct!!! I still love NASCAR and DCI; but the business downfalls and overreaching expenditures of both may lead to their demise.

• Thanks 1