Question for Moderators regarding the Hopocalypse & its fallout

17 hours ago, BigW said:

Makes sense... I know Cabs had a Bud sponsorship in the late 70's early 80's. Never any outward signs of it, but their schedule cards all had the logo on it and mentioned them as a sponsor

I think that sort of thing cross pollinates no matter what. I would love to see the activity get more sponsors but it's always been too slow of a ship to steer effectively. The base isn't there to consume the product because the product's just too #### expensive. Yeah we get good draws at big shows, but nothing like what we should be able to get with the number of kids involved in music these days. They c ant afford to pay $45 a ticket and bringing your whole band? Not an option with already shrinking budgets in schools for the arts. It's a niche activity and once again, DCI needs to step up, bring back the finals broadcast to free tv, cast it in theaters for free and figure out how to advertise. 

For those who don't know me personally (which only a few do or have ever reached out privately and said "Dude you're weird and I'd like to know where you get your crazy ideas from,) I've been through strangeness before as have we all. 

From 1996 to 1998, I decided I was going to have my early mid-life crises and do something I was already good at....for a living. So I quit teaching and joined the MPBA tour. That's the Mens Professional Billiards Association Tour. We were all good cats. But much like DCI the MPBA SUCKED at advertising. Sponsorships involving Camel, Marlboro, Miller were met with a strong opposition from people who already had this dark idea of what pro pool was like (no its not like the hustler, color of money, etc etc.) Add to that the fact that pro pool is barely seen on TV and we can already see some parallels.  

Meanwhile, across the pond, snooker players make millions a year and are sponsored by online gambling houses, alcoholic beverage companies etc. 

My point is that you have to grow the brand before you can gain the advertising revenue and somehow, DCI apparently hasnt studied much on how to build the brand. 

Sorry this is rambling but the gf and I have literally spend a solid week inside a hospital and I'm starting to go looney. 

13 hours ago, Lancer79 said:

On another thread someone was complaining how I was ruining the fun because I wasn’t on the corpswagon... you suggested they learn the ignore feature... saying it could be their friend. 

Actually Ma'am, Terri was suggesting that to me and had nothing to with ruining anything fun (at least as I re-read the thread.) I think if you'll take a few moments to re-read the progression of that thread leading up to your statement, you'll find the error or misunderstanding (or whatever you choose to call it,) rather quickly. I appreciate some of your interpretation of events, but if you're not reading what was said, then you're only reading half the story, which you've stated  your vehemenant opposition to. If we're going to play the game, the rules apply to everyone. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Was that Randy Accardi's guard?

I don't know. I was a band director, and my winter guard was in the scholastic division of the MAA circuit, and I recall them being one of the great guards to watch in the Independent side. 

48 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I don't know. I was a band director, and my winter guard was in the scholastic division of the MAA circuit, and I recall them being one of the great guards to watch in the Independent side. 

I believe ( if my memory is any good )...lol...Clark Williams was with Grenadiers

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lancer79 said:

So I asked this question to an owner... why is it you can’t just make a car that is faster than all the others. And WIN every race. He said that it use to be that way. But then it wasn’t about the drivers skills as much. This way, when the cars and the inspection process is so regulated, it levels the field and brings out the strategy and the individual drivers skills. I understand him. Kinda like how the top 7 corps have so much money, the activity is THEIR oyster! It shouldn’t  all be about money but skills and creativity. Right now who ever can afford the $100,000 drill writer has the best chance to win the game. Is winning what it’s all about? Or is it about an activity that builds excellent people? Teaching character. Teaching team building? Sometimes winning is put ahead of Victory. DCI needs to focus more on the story and less on the 11 minutes on the field. In other words, they need to market what is great about drum corps and that’s a heck of a lot more than the show.

Had you been around awhile back you would understand why DCI refocused on the product and how much better off they are today because of it.

As far as the geniuses at NASCAR, I would let them keep working their "magic" over there and not in my sandbox. 

-1x-1.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

I believe ( if my memory is any good )...lol...Clark Williams was with Grenadiers

Clarke Williams was the instructor when Valley Grenadiers from Hillsdale, NJ still represented Hillsdale FD; his judging history began soon after. Mary Denniston taught Sayreville Colleens, Judy Tomko and Dee Kobus (and one other I can picture but can't name...all out of original Little Falls/Garfield Cadets Female guard) taught Scarlet Knights. Interesting how that one winter circuit gave rise to so many who went on to coast to coast judging. I would have said National Judging, but that was the Greater Philly winter group.

19 hours ago, Lancer79 said:

If someone could explain this obsession everyone has with this guy!  It’s bizzare. He’s just a guy that ran a drum corps. What is the base for such attention? I wasn’t in DC from 81-17 so I just don’t get it. Wait... I don’t really want an answer.  No pot stirring here.

You post in a public forum that you want an explination, claiming that he is just a guy who ran a drum corps (a character defense), post a question asking why the attention, conveniently seem to want us to disregard all of the postings in another thread, then say you do not want an answer or stir the pot. It does not work that way in an open forum environment. You do not get the ability to say what you want then try to prevent others from responding with a cutesy remark! So here goes:

Even if, again even if all action was consensual, this would include the defense set forth by Cosby, no man of integrity, honor, and ethical character would take advantage of a woman's vulnerability to turn the encounter sexual, would place a women in compromising situations, would place his hand on the leg of a woman with sexual intent in a restaurant, Period. And whomever defends that behavior (see other threads) to me lacks the same honor, integrity, and ethical character.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2