Question for Moderators regarding the Hopocalypse & its fallout

22 hours ago, BigW said:

Well. one already sees the percussion logos on most of the equipment. Wouldn't be surprised if one might see logos on any costume they wear in the future much like Soccer... NFL...Folks can dodge it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it.

There was a NJ corps called Fantasia III that caused a raving stink circa 1980 when they took a sponsor flag (thinking Burger King) out with their Main Guard... everyone panned it, they were forced to get rid of that... Well, anyone else remember them? Are they still around? Food for thought.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. (French proverb)  What goes around, comes around. (American proverb)

Commercial sponsorship flags carried by the guard were in the activity in the '50's, '60's, '70's but not carried in Legion or VFW contests who allowed only veteran logos; an exception was made for the Vatican flag some CYO corps carried, but it had to be handled as the flag of a foreign government.

MAA circuit under Joe Catapano and John Rowan tried to adhere to Am. Legion rules so that they could be recognized as Am. Leg. judges ocean to ocean.

It was not uncommon for corps in the Greater New York area to use sponsor flags as parade and practice flags, most often from the local gas station chains some who even donated them.  Babylon Islanders were sponsored by the local 7-UP bottling company, wore green with orange, and had 7-Up flags (white with green/orange logo.) NJ had the senior Ballentine Brewers; Midwest had Hamm (Brewery) Indians from St. Paul, MN.; each of these corps marched with the beer label logos on bass drum heads and flags.  Check the "rugs" (silks) of the very first DCI champion, the Anaheim Kingsmen who marched various sponsor flags on the field as part of their legendary Whitewater win routine, not just in the honor guard. As the Good Book says, there is little new under the sun.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Continuing to argue about the hand on the leg distracts from and undermines the larger points.  It's like arguing that Hitler had a bad haircut.  

One is merely aesthetics, bad haircut; and Lord knows GH has had some awful ones! But the other is physical, a hand touching leg in a prvocative manner (which actually and directly relates to the larger point of potentioal sexual harassment). Thus to connect them both as being distractions to the larger picture is an equivocation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

I must say I admire the flair, verve and immersive commitment with which you miss a point entirely.  

Your point was (everybody gets it). But this time not everbody gets it. While I was replying  to your post, my response was actually not for you; it was intended to be read by another poster.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Clarke Williams was the instructor when Valley Grenadiers from Hillsdale, NJ still represented Hillsdale FD; his judging history began soon after. Mary Denniston taught Sayreville Colleens, Judy Tomko and Dee Kobus (and one other I can picture but can't name...all out of original Little Falls/Garfield Cadets Female guard) taught Scarlet Knights. Interesting how that one winter circuit gave rise to so many who went on to coast to coast judging. I would have said National Judging, but that was the Greater Philly winter group.

Colleens were amazing in the late 60's. A large bunch of them became Blessed Sac's girl guard. Judy and Dee were our (Garfield) captains when I joined.

13 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think that sort of thing cross pollinates no matter what. I would love to see the activity get more sponsors but it's always been too slow of a ship to steer effectively. The base isn't there to consume the product because the product's just too #### expensive. Yeah we get good draws at big shows, but nothing like what we should be able to get with the number of kids involved in music these days. They c ant afford to pay $45 a ticket and bringing your whole band? Not an option with already shrinking budgets in schools for the arts. It's a niche activity and once again, DCI needs to step up, bring back the finals broadcast to free tv, cast it in theaters for free and figure out how to advertise. 

For those who don't know me personally (which only a few do or have ever reached out privately and said "Dude you're weird and I'd like to know where you get your crazy ideas from,) I've been through strangeness before as have we all. 

From 1996 to 1998, I decided I was going to have my early mid-life crises and do something I was already good at....for a living. So I quit teaching and joined the MPBA tour. That's the Mens Professional Billiards Association Tour. We were all good cats. But much like DCI the MPBA SUCKED at advertising. Sponsorships involving Camel, Marlboro, Miller were met with a strong opposition from people who already had this dark idea of what pro pool was like (no its not like the hustler, color of money, etc etc.) Add to that the fact that pro pool is barely seen on TV and we can already see some parallels.  

Meanwhile, across the pond, snooker players make millions a year and are sponsored by online gambling houses, alcoholic beverage companies etc. 

My point is that you have to grow the brand before you can gain the advertising revenue and somehow, DCI apparently hasnt studied much on how to build the brand. 

Sorry this is rambling but the gf and I have literally spend a solid week inside a hospital and I'm starting to go looney. 

when it comes to marketing, i have long thought sports drinks and sports gear were great opportunities. Look at how uniforms are marketed to band directors...now imagine marketing rehearsal attire to kids everywhere and directors.

no brainer to me

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

when it comes to marketing, i have long thought sports drinks and sports gear were great opportunities. Look at how uniforms are marketed to band directors...now imagine marketing rehearsal attire to kids everywhere and directors.

no brainer to me

Nike. Underarmor. Reebok. Bingo, Jeff. 

Marching "shoes"... unis… you name it.

On 1/26/2019 at 2:46 PM, BigW said:

Last heard... 20-30 million a year per car. Sadly cheap compared to Formula One where the guesstimates put Ferrari in the neighborhood of 300 million a year to run their 2 car team.. and last I researched, Red Bull about 120 Million.

Really... if costs keep rising in DCI, I think you may see far more heavy sponsorships.

Main-table-1200x841.jpg

• Thanks 1