Question for Moderators regarding the Hopocalypse & its fallout

51 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

If Hop would shut up, I’m pretty sure the adverse reaction to his narcissism would die down. He brings this on himself. As always. Since he will NEVER again be involved DCI, no matter the outcome of a trial, the sooner he goes away the better. 

Somehow.... I just don't see him going off gently into the good night. I see him as steadfastly mainlining his innocence if convicted, and wreaking havoc and revenge if acquitted.

Edited by BigW

35 minutes ago, BigW said:

Hippity Hops make it tops! Betting John Z has had his share of Olde Frothingslosh. 

Sure did - more famously known as "Iron City Beer", just repackaged for a short time as OF as a marketing stunt  based on Cordic's parody.  not sure if they still do it.

Sponsorships - take a look on the sleeves of early 80s Steel City gold uniforms and you'll find Wendy's patches - I think we also had a Wendy's flag for parades only....thankfully.   pretty sure we were all glad when that sponsorship expired.

and thanks all for trying to steer this discussion back near topic!

3 hours ago, Lancer79 said:

So I asked this question to an owner... why is it you can’t just make a car that is faster than all the others. And WIN every race. He said that it use to be that way. But then it wasn’t about the drivers skills as much. This way, when the cars and the inspection process is so regulated, it levels the field and brings out the strategy and the individual drivers skills.

The techical parity the owner was talking about actually had the opposite impact. Drivers could no longer pass, no longer use skill to utilize wind and other dynamics to manuver. It became a get in line where you started and stay in line event because all cars were identical. Racing became nothing more than rolling chess matches. One of the most boring races I ever attended was aat TMS. The cars were in line, no passing lap after lap, Kyle Bush lighly scraped the wall and lost the wind draft. Each lap he lost about a car length. The crowd in turn four began the wave as he passed by the stands and it caught on down the entire front straight. The most entertaining part of the day was the wave.

31 minutes ago, Stu said:

The techical parity the owner was talking about actually had the opposite impact. Drivers could no longer pass, no longer use skill to utilize wind and other dynamics to manuver. It became a get in line where you started and stay in line event because all cars were identical. Racing became nothing more than rolling chess matches. One of the most boring races I ever attended was aat TMS. The cars were in line, no passing lap after lap, Kyle Bush lighly scraped the wall and lost the wind draft. Each lap he lost about a car length. The crowd in turn four began the wave as he passed by the stands and it caught on down the entire front straight. The most entertaining part of the day was the wave.

Were you watching or watching with a headset so you could hear the drivers talking?

i had never seen a NASCAR race as I assumed  my IQ  was to high to appreciate cars driving in a circle.  But when I got a headset and could hear the drivers/team/spotter talk AND it didn’t hurt that since I stayed in the area with the drivers and their families I could ask them my dumb questions... I really enjoyed watching a race! 

Edited by Lancer79

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Too high.  Not “to high”.  

Maybe it’s not an IQ thing, more of a constant need to be mentally stimulated. Easily bored. Likely an advanced case of ADD. So, it’s hard to calibrate to ‘just hangin out’ way.  Think female Sheldon. Hey Terri, I thought you were ignoring me!?

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

If Hop would shut up, I’m pretty sure the adverse reaction to his narcissism would die down. He brings this on himself. As always. Since he will NEVER again be involved DCI, no matter the outcome of a trial, the sooner he goes away the better. 

If someone could explain this obsession everyone has with this guy!  It’s bizzare. He’s just a guy that ran a drum corps. What is the base for such attention? I wasn’t in DC from 81-17 so I just don’t get it. Wait... I don’t really want an answer.  No pot stirring here.

Edited by Lancer79

3 hours ago, BigW said:

There was a NJ corps called Fantasia III that caused a raving stink circa 1980 when they took a sponsor flag (thinking Burger King) out with their Main Guard... everyone panned it, they were forced to get rid of that... Well, anyone else remember them? Are they still around? Food for thought.

Merger of the Valley Grenadiers, Dynamic Royalairs and another corps. Based in the Wayne/Little Falls, NJ area. They had a GREAT winter guard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Merger of the Valley Grenadiers, Dynamic Royalairs and another corps. Based in the Wayne/Little Falls, NJ area. They had a GREAT winter guard.

Was that Randy Accardi's guard?

4 hours ago, Lancer79 said:

If someone could explain this obsession everyone has with this guy!  It’s bizzare. He’s just a guy that ran a drum corps. What is the base for such attention? I wasn’t in DC from 81-17 so I just don’t get it. Wait... I don’t really want an answer.  No pot stirring here.

actually didn't give him a thought til i logged on here. and will probably not give him a thought tomorrow

• Thanks 1