About licensing

a great piece on the biggest headache to media collectors of drum corps...licensing

https://www.dci.org/news/marching-through-the-complex-world-of-music-licensing-and-copyright-law

Copyright attorney:

"Plan ahead. In a perfect world, you'd be planning shows out several years in advance and not putting pen to paper, be it drill, be it music, until you've got those licenses in place."

That said, he talks about corps making changes even during the performance season--and they do--but when was the last time a corps added new music to their show--i.e., music they hadn't already planned to use--after the season had started? The only example I can think of is, perhaps, the samples of TV Christmas programs that Cadets put in late in 2012, which were not included on the recordings. (And I don't know whether or not Cadets planned to include those samples from the beginning.) Can anyone think of other examples in the past 25 years?

The most interesting part is his explanation of why recordings of drumlines, even when they're playing their part to the corps' shows in the lots (sans pit), usually don't violate the original composers' or license holders' copyright: you can't tell the parts have anything to do with the original!

Well, the other good point he makes is that licensing is subjective, "context specific", and "the best you can do is the best you can do."

In other words, you can do all the right things and still not be right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That said, he talks about corps making changes even during the performance season--and they do--but when was the last time a corps added new music to their show--i.e., music they hadn't already planned to use--after the season had started? The only example I can think of is, perhaps, the samples of TV Christmas programs that Cadets put in late in 2012, which were not included on the recordings. (And I don't know whether or not Cadets planned to include those samples from the beginning.) Can anyone think of other examples in the past 25 years?

Blue Devils did in 2018. They changed the entire closer to a variation of the Morricone piece they used in 2009. Maybe it had been planned all along, but it was a pretty drastic change from earlier in the season and seemed like more of a re-think of a part of the show that was low on impact. And they usually tend to add and layer, rather than replace something outright.

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Copyright attorney:

"Plan ahead. In a perfect world, you'd be planning shows out several years in advance and not putting pen to paper, be it drill, be it music, until you've got those licenses in place."

except staff changes happen. 

Blue Knights had some stuff removed one year I believe when they added like 4 notes

Well, the other good point he makes is that licensing is subjective, "context specific", and "the best you can do is the best you can do."

In other words, you can do all the right things and still not be right.

Phantom 08...had the clearances...then after the first batch of dvd's went out, they changed their mind.

17 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

except staff changes happen. 

Well, based on what that attorney says, the smart answer is for a corps' leadership (director or board) to say to new designers: "Tough. We plan our shows three years out. You join us, you do so with the understanding that we're doing what we already programmed. It's a brave new world. Deal with it."