About licensing

17 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Phantom 08...had the clearances...then after the first batch of dvd's went out, they changed their mind.

Which means they didn't *really* have full permission. Their agreement had to have included a clause saying the composer had final veto, and they just never thought he'd use it. Right?

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, based on what that attorney says, the smart answer is for a corps' leadership (director or board) to say to new designers: "Tough. We plan our shows three years out. You join us, you do so with the understanding that we're doing what we already programmed. It's a brave new world. Deal with it."

I think time has proven a majority of administration should stay out of design

On 1/27/2019 at 12:06 AM, Jeff Ream said:

I think time has proven a majority of administration should stay out of design

Very true.

That said, it's an interesting thought experiment. New staff comes in and is told, "ok, here's the music that's licensed for this year. Make a show. Good luck!"

So if...for the sake of argument...let's say Cadets were held to the Bernstein deal for this year, but with a substantially revised design team.

Or say that Rennick/Shaw/Rosander had picked music for 2010/2011/2012, and then Hill/Gwaltney had had to arrange to the previous selections.

Interesting idle thought, if nothing else.

Edited by ftwdrummer

more like driving the design team to drink to excess idea

• Haha 1

On 1/26/2019 at 4:48 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Which means they didn't *really* have full permission. Their agreement had to have included a clause saying the composer had final veto, and they just never thought he'd use it. Right?

Securing arranging permission was on Regiment; securing all other permissions were on DCI. So before pointing fingers my questions are: 1) Which Copyright owner had the problem? and 2) Was the video released with permission secured then pulled, or released in hope it was going to be secured?

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Securing arranging permission was on Regiment; securing all other permissions were on DCI. So before pointing fingers my questions are: 1) Which Copyright owner had the problem? and 2) Was the video released with permission secured then pulled, or released in hope it was going to be secured?

1) The composer was Loris Tjeknavorian. Not sure who actually controlled the copyright. The story at the time was that he didn't like what Regiment had done with his music.

2) If permission was actually secured, then it was with an unusual agreement that allowed the composer to change his mind after the fact.

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

1) The composer was Loris Tjeknavorian. Not sure who actually controlled the copyright. The story at the time was that he didn't like what Regiment had done with his music.

2) If permission was actually secured, then it was with an unusual agreement that allowed the composer to change his mind after the fact.

There have been a few times when was contracted to do arrangements that the Copyright holders gave tentative permission, with final say only after I sent the arrangement to them (prior to performing). But never waiting until after an actual performance. More specificity is still needed before I would point a finger anywhere. So, if it was the composer, was it that he did not like the arrangement itself, which was the contract with Regiment, or did not like the video attached to the arrangement, which was the contract with DCI? If the former that sounds strange to wait until the video came out, if the latter I can maybe see why the video was altered.

Edited by Stu

16 hours ago, Stu said:

There have been a few times when was contracted to do arrangements that the Copyright holders gave tentative permission, with final say only after I sent the arrangement to them (prior to performing). But never waiting until after an actual performance. More specificity is still needed before I would point a finger anywhere. So, if it was the composer, was it that he did not like the arrangement itself, which was the contract with Regiment, or did not like the video attached to the arrangement, which was the contract with DCI? If the former that sounds strange to wait until the video came out, if the latter I can maybe see why the video was altered.

Sorry I don't have more information. I wasn't here then, so I'm only repeating what I heard from other commenters here well after the fact.

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Sorry I don't have more information. I wasn't here then, so I'm only repeating what I heard from other commenters here well after the fact.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

"Synchronization license ultimately wouldn't be granted"

So it was the DVD release, not the musical arrangement, which was contested. That is the responsibility of DCI not Regiment.