About licensing

14 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm not sure it does. What happened a few years later seems to be that DCI mistakenly believed their synchronization licensing included permission to stream indefinitely.

i think so because of the years....a lot of them...they did nothing

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i think so because of the years....a lot of them...they did nothing

Are you saying that there was a time when DCI wasn't even obtaining synchronization licenses for the videos (VHS, DVD, etc.) that it was selling?

The impression that DCI was hinting at when the Tresona crisis arose was that they had at least done that, but they had mistakenly believed that license also covered streaming on the Fan Network (or even that DCI was right to think so, but that deep-pocketed Tresona was choosing to interpret the law or contracts to mean the opposite--and DCI couldn't afford to fight).

But DCI certainly never made clear to the public what was happening!

47 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Are you saying that there was a time when DCI wasn't even obtaining synchronization licenses for the videos (VHS, DVD, etc.) that it was selling?

The impression that DCI was hinting at when the Tresona crisis arose was that they had at least done that, but they had mistakenly believed that license also covered streaming on the Fan Network (or even that DCI was right to think so, but that deep-pocketed Tresona was choosing to interpret the law or contracts to mean the opposite--and DCI couldn't afford to fight).

DCi had to cut a big check because 70's/80's...yeah nothing was done. like 6 figures for the settlement. much of it for corps themselves, many no longer in existence.

DCA cut one too, but not nearly as big as they didn't start video products until 1988

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCi had to cut a big check because 70's/80's...yeah nothing was done. like 6 figures for the settlement. much of it for corps themselves, many no longer in existence.

DCA cut one too, but not nearly as big as they didn't start video products until 1988

I was at a composer forum back in the'90s where one of the guest speakers was Ron Nelson. (Interesting footnote is that his voice sounded just like Carl Sagan from Cosmos). Anyway, during the Q&A I asked him about his initial experience with DCI. He leaned back, smiled, and said Money! He then proceeded to tell this story; whether true or not it is the story he told. In the early '80s he said that he turned on the TV to PBS to watch a musical broadcast. He said he was shocked to hear his Rocky Point being played by bugles blaring out of the speakers. He told us that he immediately called his publisher and they were also apparently shocked. He also said that they ended up settling things retroactively. And of course more of his creations were performed in years to come.  He said for money!

My point here is this: DCI was, or at least should have been, keenly aware of how serious Copyright permission actually is aftet that incident way back in the early '80s.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stu said:

... where one of the guest speakers was Ron Nelson. (Interesting footnote is that his voice sounded just like Carl Sagan from Cosmos). ...

7 hours ago, Stu said:

I was at a composer forum back in the'90s where one of the guest speakers was Ron Nelson. (Interesting footnote is that his voice sounded just like Carl Sagan from Cosmos). Anyway, during the Q&A I asked him about his initial experience with DCI. He leaned back, smiled, and said Money! He then proceeded to tell this story; whether true or not it is the story he told. In the early '80s he said that he turned on the TV to PBS to watch a musical broadcast. He said he was shocked to hear his Rocky Point being played by bugles blaring out of the speakers. He told us that he immediately called his publisher and they were also apparently shocked. He also said that they ended up settling things retroactively. And of course more of his creations were performed in years to come.  He said for money!

Interesting that the St Louis Wind Symphony actually credits the Garfield Cadets use on the FB page....

"Rocky Point Holiday" - Ron Nelson

Written on the composer's vacation to Rocky Point, Rhode Island in the summer of 1966, this piece is considered a staple in the advanced wind ensemble repertoire. Premiering the following February (1967) by the University of Minnesota Concert Band at CBDNA, publication happened two years later in 1969.

It became a favorite for DCI fans in 1983 when the Garfield Cadets used much of the thematic material for their field show.

We are celebrating the 50th anniversary of the creation of this piece in our second concert of the season Sunday, November 13th @ 3:00. Come enjoy it live by the Saint Louis Wind Symphony!