I can't be the only one - Phantom Regiment 87 Still My Favorite

If it’s Tchaikovsky and Phantom Regiment there’s a huge chance I love it, and that’s the case with this show. My major critique of 2014 was that they ignored deeper cuts from the “Swan Lake” score and ventured into other music. I think 1987 also used music that at first glance would not seem to work in drum corps. Great show.

16 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Man - them coming out with the all-whites and the more modern approach to visual/guard in 87 just wowed me

I hope they have a similar year coming up - winter camps are EVERYTHING

All of us alumni are hoping for the same. Cesario gave them a much needed boost that year. This year they’re bringing in some new blood on the programming side, so maybe that’ll help them turn the corner.

• Like 1

To me '87 was a paradigm shift in look, feel, and design. '84 was the last great show of the older Regiment; '85 and'86 were hard years calling for some sort of transition; and '87 forward is the modern Regiment. That is why it was such an impactful performance. While they did retain older staff like Jim Wren and brought back Marty Hurley, they followed the design lead of Caserio who I believe began helping them in' 87.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

For me it will always be 1991.

22 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Man - them coming out with the all-whites and the more modern approach to visual/guard in 87 just wowed me

I hope they have a similar year coming up - winter camps are EVERYTHING

from 10 to 10:30, very memorable to me as very elegant, sublime and understated, a real special moment in that way in that they didn't have to blow up the place to create a wonderful moment.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, George Dixon said:

ok - and maybe Regiment 2003 

This clip... again, so elemental, yet superb. Nothing fancy about the perc feature staging, but it's perfect. Everything is set up drawing one to what they want you to see presented... elegant move back afterwards... they GET Bartok... the end chords...  a real ###-kickin' 3 and a half minutes.

Edited by BigW

11 minutes ago, BigW said:

This clip... again, so elemental, yet superb. Nothing fancy about the perc feature staging, but it's perfect. Everything is set up drawing one to what they want you to see presented... elegant move back afterwards... they GET Bartok... the end chords...  a real ###-kickin' 3 and a half minutes.

the hit in the wedge and then the mello run as they push back through the wedge - so good. I do miss the simplicity and the power of some of these older shows

36 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

the hit in the wedge and then the mello run as they push back through the wedge - so good. I do miss the simplicity and the power of some of these older shows

The basic rule of thumb for effect is this: Do you hear what you see, see what you hear? In that entire closing segment of '03, it's very, very airtight in that aspect.

Summer of 87 was first time being introduced to this thing called Drum and Bugle Corps. Freshman Bandcamp Band Director played us a vhs recording from Finals from the Weekend. SCV and Phantom were the 2 groups that majorly piqued my curiosity into the Activity.

1987 Songs from the Winter Palace Such a GOOD SHOW!

Edited by Zeke