No Title

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

1974, we did enter Class A at Key to the Sea in Toledo, Ohio... and made finals.  It was really cool to play at the night show.

Please tell me it was a Saturday.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Please tell me it was a Saturday.

Honest,y I'm not sure. I think Class A was Friday, Open Class on Saturday.

Or it might have been Saturday and Sunday.

We finished 9th at both "A" prelims and finals... a 10-corps finals. Several really good Class A corps there... Glassmen, Charioteers, Marquis,  Seneca Princemen, among others.

Edited by Fran Haring

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Agree that SoundSport could be the way to bring back Corps with local membership.  While they compete indoors on a basketball court - there is no reason they can't perform in local parades, standstills etc.  This leads to them becoming known in the local area, and potentially leading to other local groups starting up as interest builds (i.e., local competition).  Then, get them onto a football field.

When I lived in Belleville IL in mid 90's, I ran across a late-1950's newspaper that had story of the previous nights Drum Corps contest - 12 Corps (2 all-girl), ALL of them from within St Clair County.  Now, with possible exception of the Black Knights I am sure all these Corps were in the 50-member range, but properly staged these Corps can be highly entertaining.  None of them (except BK) toured farther than 100 miles to compete - at best a few might go to State AL or VFW, BUT there were contests almost every weekend from Memorial Day through Labor Day.

This could be done without DCI involvement.  The members would work hard, reap the benefits of working as a team toward a goal larger than themselves, etc.

sure Soundsport could do lots of those things, if available. But show hosts are going to want to pay the corps coming, and parades don't pay as much if at all like they used to. the real key is being able to do corporate gigs.

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Honest,y I'm not sure. I think Class A was Friday, Open Class on Saturday. Or it might have been Saturday and Sunday.

We finished 9th at both "A" prelims and finals... a 10-corps finals. Several really good Class A corps there... Glassmen, Charioteers, Marquis,  Seneca Princemen, among others.

So you were weighed and founding wanting.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So you were weighed and founding wanting.

An indication of how clueless I am about John Denver.  :tongue: