Music corps should NOT do

6 hours ago, DCIPhan78 said:

I've always wondered if anybody has done a Grateful Dead tune in DCI which I think potentially could work if done well but would be hard to pull off.

no because unlike Dead tunes, DCI has time limits

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

I just Googled “Bad Songs of the 70’s” and according to Rolling Stone, these might be good to avoid

1. Rick Dees “Disco Duck”

2. Starland Vocal Band “Afternoon Delight”

3. Paul Anka “(You’re) Having my Baby)”

4. Debbie Boone “You Light Up My Life”

5. Captain and Tennile “Muskrat Love”

6. Rupert Jones “Escape (The Pina Colada Song)”

7. Terry Jacks “Seasons in the Sun” 

8. Bo Donaldson “Billy Don’t be a Hero”

9. Morris Albert “Feelings”**

10. Minnie Ripperton “”Loving You”

**According to DCX, performed by Blue Knights in 1976 and Pearl River Cadets in 1986

Of all the songs listed, I am surprised that “You Light Up My Life” was not performed by more corps. Like it or not, it was one of the best selling singles of the 70’s. 

I’d add as honorable mentions “Playground in my Mind,” “Una Paloma Blanca (I’m Just a Bird in the Sky,” “Brand New Key(I’ve got a Brand New Pair of Roller Skates)” and just about anything by Leo Sayer or Helen Reddy.

how can you do an Anchorman show with #2?

9 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Ill throw in this little gem from Sarah Brightman and her band Hot Gossip circa 1978. If you can survive this little ditty without having a "what the ####" moment then you're just better human than I am. 

https://youtu.be/xKtJobLOVYQ

I could see BD's guard making that work.  

11 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

And think about it.... if a corps did a Grateful Dead show, they might attract a bunch of fans who would attend every single contest the corps was in!!!  :laughing:

They would be selling grilled cheeses out in the parking lot for $2 a piece and I would not hate that at all. Watching Crown's hornline warm up while wolfing down a hot ham and cheese is potentially my idea of DCI heaven!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DCIPhan78 said:

They would be selling grilled cheeses out in the parking lot for $2 a piece and I would not hate that at all. Watching Crown's hornline warm up while wolfing down a hot ham and cheese is potentially my idea of DCI heaven!

Brother in laws buddy would be selling his home made tie dyes and other stuff I don’t want to know about....

18 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Anything by REO Speedwagon.

In fact, if a corps plays an REO Speedwagon show, I just might personally work to make sure that corps disbands and is never heard from again. :tongue:

Hey Fran, I heard a rumor from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from another that....:peek:

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

And think about it.... if a corps did a Grateful Dead show, they might attract a bunch of fans who would attend every single contest the corps was in!!!  :laughing:

And you could call the show, “Stoned.” Oh wait ...

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I see what you did there...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

shot fired!

• Haha 1