Music corps should NOT do

23 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Music a corps should do: Zappa's "BIlly the Mountain."  :laughing:

Of course, it would have to be done over two or three seasons. Maybe like the Crossmen's trilogy in the early '90s.  LOL

Only if Ethel the tree hanging off of his shoulder, would be given equal billing!

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Ill throw in this little gem from Sarah Brightman and her band Hot Gossip circa 1978. If you can survive this little ditty without having a "what the ####" moment then you're just better human than I am. 

https://youtu.be/xKtJobLOVYQ

I remain fascinated by the little things in this video.  There's a point where they're running by with those little handheld dumbbells then one of them is literally...shaking maracas instead of dumbbells.  I'd call it a subtle joke but there's not much subtlety in "shaking your maracas."     

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I remain fascinated by the little things in this video.  There's a point where they're running by with those little handheld dumbbells then one of them is literally...shaking maracas instead of dumbbells.  I'd call it a subtle joke but there's not much subtlety in "shaking your maracas."     

I tend to scour YouTube for truly horrible music videos and other rare gems (Llamas With Hats, Squatty Potty, etc.) Some people are just freakin' brilliant. You just have to have enough dark humor in your heart to see it. 

Another "should never do" musical selection would probably have to be The Final Countdown. And if you're thinking "Europe made some horrible songs and this was the worst" there's an even worse cover. Luckily for us all, it has been forever documented on the internet. I sometimes watch this when I'm feeling somewhat low about my level of talent.

https://youtu.be/FjeMDvCdrtc

• Like 1

Blondie had some great "what? why is this going on?" in The Tide is High video

Just about EVERY Die Antwoord video will make you question your grasp on reality.

And the best worst song and video I've ever encountered... LARPer group doing some weird crap.

• Like 3

Although, I would totally get behind a old school VK take on Unicorns LA.  They could superlampoon the whole 'storytelling show' genre.

i'm not sure what year it's from, it wasn't part of a show, and it's bad quality, but there's actually a vid of cadets doing grateful dead's "casey jones" 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

• Haha 2

" Sweet Caroline "...... Neil Diamond.

Some songs are just.... so good... so good.... so good... they should be left alone by any Drum Corps, imo  :tongue:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

" Sweet Caroline "...... Neil Diamond.

Some songs are just.... so good... so good.... so good... they should be left alone by any Drum Corps, imo  :tongue:

I had to write a show with Sweet Caroline in it. I am not sure if the band director noticed my eye roll when he told me. 

• Haha 3