Music corps should NOT do

17 hours ago, tesmusic said:

One of the reason's I judge so seldom nowadays is because of pieces like this. Hearing multiple groups in the same festival, playing the same music, almost always playing the music poorly, I just can't deal with it. I judged a show, the year after SCV did Les Mis, where 3 bands out of 9 played Les Mis. Each one worse than the one before.

On the same note, at one of the contests I judged this past season, 3 groups did a full blown "The Greatest Showman," show, and another did a piece from the movie score as well. The only one that did any of it well, or even had a good arrangement for marching band, was the group that did just a single tune from the overall score. Ultimately, directors need to be mindful of the difference between good music, and music that is good AND translates well to the marching field. Too many directors miss the mark on that part of the equation when putting together a show.

15 hours ago, xandandl said:

Country Western, Barbershop quartet, and other forms of yodeling to keep the trombones busy when they can't march. 😬

Not so sure about barbershop...might work for a small corps with limited brass numbers, since you can cover all the parts.

And besides...how about this?

Btw....drum corps connection.  One of the members played tenors or BD in 1980...you'll definitely see a corps influence at 3:11

On 2/7/2019 at 2:26 AM, 84BDsop said:

Not so sure about barbershop...might work for a small corps with limited brass numbers, since you can cover all the parts.

Btw....drum corps connection.  One of the members played tenors or BD in 1980...you'll definitely see a corps influence at 3:11

There you go adding dance and other California impositions on what used to be a nice, staid, calming entertainment. 

Still no to Country Western, yodeling, and Barbershop even if they wear Cadets haircut.

Edited by xandandl

18 hours ago, xandandl said:

Still no to Country Western, yodeling, and Barbershop even if they wear Cadets haircut

Didn't Cadets already do the Yodeling thing in 2005?? Oh wait...that was a "Verbal Drum Break." 

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2019 at 2:26 AM, 84BDsop said:

Very entertaining and well done.

Now as someone who does prefer the pre 2014 no trombones, concert French horns, etc, though I did not have a conniption with allowing B-flat or the expansion of the front ensemble, contradictory, I know, I think some feared DCI would become nothing but 76 trombones for a horn line.

That being said, if a drum corps attempted and more importantly succeeded in using this arrangement of “76 Trombones” with the movement, theatrics, uniform change, etc., it would be a fan favorite no question. 

7 hours ago, Tim K said:

Very entertaining and well done.

Now as someone who does prefer the pre 2014 no trombones, concert French horns, etc, though I did not have a conniption with allowing B-flat or the expansion of the front ensemble, contradictory, I know, I think some feared DCI would become nothing but 76 trombones for a horn line.

That being said, if a drum corps attempted and more importantly succeeded in using this arrangement of “76 Trombones” with the movement, theatrics, uniform change, etc., it would be a fan favorite no question. 

Just for fun...
Starting around 6:45

Also... a bit of  a Blast! tribute near the end.

https://www.vidoevo.com/video/cGRLVFhfcWuRpQnVEMHc/ambassadors-of-harmony-man-of-la-mancha