Best EARLY SEASON show/corps that ending up NOT winning?

Is this it? The 1987 SCV performance, early season in Riverside, CA

This was in MAY - specifically June 27th:

Edited by George Dixon

My second nomination for this dubious distinction would be this performance from Carolina Crown in 2016 - their incredible preview performance from family and friends - WOW

others?

Edited by George Dixon
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Is this it? The 1987 SCV performance, early season in Riverside, CA

This was in MAY - specifically May 27th:

*June* 27.

Cadets... 2015.

Came out of the gate very strong that season. Topped  BD, Crown , Bluecoats, SCV. Won the San Antonio Regionals 7/11, topping everyone.  Really looking and sounding like the DCI front runner thru early July.

Changed their 80 + year's iconic traditional uniforms and Corps colors mid season however.  Lost their mojo.

Wound up finishing 4th at Finals that season. 6th-7th following seasons..

2015 Cadets footage, early season, :

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Cadets... 2015.

Came out of the gate very strong that season. Topped  BD, Crown , Bluecoats, SCV. Won the San Antonio Regionals 7/11, topping everyone.  Really looking and sounding like the DCI front runner thru early July.

Changed their 80 + year's iconic traditional uniforms and Corps colors mid season however.  Lost their mojo.

One of the best recent examples of a show that simply ran out of gas and had a design that was outperformed once the corps reached the final 2 weeks of the season. No room to grow. And, honestly, I maintain one of the best recent examples of how NOT to design a show; or, how to design a show that absolutely misses the mark of current trends despite trying to capitalize on them.

And, to be clear, this was a MONSTER corps that could have easily won if they had performed a better-designed program.

Counting to ten. The mystical powers of the number ten. Maybe if this show had been put on in the late 90s/early 00s, fine. But legit ten (ha) years too late. Their rivals that season at the top were BD's Ink that was deeply & intricately plotted, Bloo's dissertation on electronic subterfuge & a thickly, masterfully scored "Lost in the World", Crown's iconic hell to heaven journey that successfully crammed a massively lengthy trek into 13 minutes, with their best musical arrangements to date, and Cadets competed with....voiceovers that counted to ten? Eye rolls all around. I think the reason this still irks me so much almost four years later is that the music book and drill design were both SO GOOD...paired with a garbage, pedantic concept that literally no one was interested in. 

Not that the theme was the only problem --- I argued this point a lot on here in 2015, but I still assert that the ballad was just a throwaway placeholder. "Let's just get through this and go back to the impressive fast stuff". Which, by the way, WAS quite impressive. 

Truly a masterclass in how to design a show that holds back your world class performers. 

Also, why the "blackout"?? I remember it being a hugely-hyped deal by GH...but...what was the point?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BrassFan17 said:

Cavaliers 2011 comes to mind, they were undefeated for quite some time....

Not undefeated---they did go on an early run (CC won the 1st show in that horrible "breeze")...then BD took over...then the Cadets prevailed.