Best EARLY SEASON show/corps that ending up NOT winning?

9 hours ago, Beckham said:

Bluecoats 2007. Beat every other corps head to head that year and ended up 7th. 

Beat me to it...

8 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Cadets... 2015.

Came out of the gate very strong that season. Topped  BD, Crown , Bluecoats, SCV. Won the San Antonio Regionals 7/11, topping everyone.  Really looking and sounding like the DCI front runner thru early July.

Changed their 80 + year's iconic traditional uniforms and Corps colors mid season however.  Lost their mojo.

Wound up finishing 4th at Finals that season. 6th-7th following seasons..

Also, the drill and visual design looked slow, and muddled, in many places once they switched to the black uniforms. 

16 minutes ago, ibexpercussion said:

Also, the drill and visual design looked slow, and muddled, in many places once they switched to the black uniforms. 

Agreed.

They would have been better off adopting something similar to the guard uniforms from '97--keep the black jacket, but go white pants, and a neon cummerbund.

1 hour ago, ftwdrummer said:

Agreed.

They would have been better off adopting something similar to the guard uniforms from '97--keep the black jacket, but go white pants, and a neon cummerbund.

Yep. Black pants took away from the lower body velocity in the visual package. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Beckham said:

Bluecoats 2007. Beat every other corps head to head that year and ended up 7th. 

The perfect example of a show that peaked too early. I remember watching it get better and better every week until around San Antonio, and then it just sort of stopped getting better. It made me really appreciate how important layering is in show development over the season.

• Like 1

SCV 2004. They were so strong and had such a phenomenal show. I remember them trailing Blue Devils throughout California, and then somewhere around Oregon or Washington (I think?) SCV finally pulled ahead, and I remember thinking "well, this is the beginning for them!" But no, they never beat BD again, who ended up coming in second that season anyways.

Bloo 17 was the first to come to mind. Saw them at the premiere and thought to myself "Oh, they're gonna repeat". Sadly the show just ran out of steam and there wasn't really any saving it. I can remember Crown closing that gap on them the second show and just not having a great gut feeling about it.

Crown 2014 as well. But that year seemed to loaded in the 1-4 spots. 

8 hours ago, Jake W. said:

One of the best recent examples of a show that simply ran out of gas and had a design that was outperformed once the corps reached the final 2 weeks of the season. No room to grow. And, honestly, I maintain one of the best recent examples of how NOT to design a show; or, how to design a show that absolutely misses the mark of current trends despite trying to capitalize on them.

And, to be clear, this was a MONSTER corps that could have easily won if they had performed a better-designed program.

Counting to ten. The mystical powers of the number ten. Maybe if this show had been put on in the late 90s/early 00s, fine. But legit ten (ha) years too late. Their rivals that season at the top were BD's Ink that was deeply & intricately plotted, Bloo's dissertation on electronic subterfuge & a thickly, masterfully scored "Lost in the World", Crown's iconic hell to heaven journey that successfully crammed a massively lengthy trek into 13 minutes, with their best musical arrangements to date, and Cadets competed with....voiceovers that counted to ten? Eye rolls all around. I think the reason this still irks me so much almost four years later is that the music book and drill design were both SO GOOD...paired with a garbage, pedantic concept that literally no one was interested in. 

Not that the theme was the only problem --- I argued this point a lot on here in 2015, but I still assert that the ballad was just a throwaway placeholder. "Let's just get through this and go back to the impressive fast stuff". Which, by the way, WAS quite impressive. 

Truly a masterclass in how to design a show that holds back your world class performers. 

Also, why the "blackout"?? I remember it being a hugely-hyped deal by GH...but...what was the point?

the black was to highlight the neon green, which in the end killed everything. all velocity was suddenly not as visually impressive in the black as it was in maroon and white

I wholeheartedly agree with Brasso, Cadets 2015 was phenomenal. Their music and drill were both spectacular. They did win the Ott after all. I remember seeing Cadets at the Minneapolis regional and beaming because I was convinced that Cadets were on their way to run away with another founder's trophy.