Best EARLY SEASON show/corps that ending up NOT winning?

2 minutes ago, BrassFan17 said:

I wholeheartedly agree with Brasso, Cadets 2015 was phenomenal. Their music and drill were both spectacular. They did win the Ott after all. I remember seeing Cadets at the Minneapolis regional and beaming because I was convinced that Cadets were on their way to run away with another founder's trophy.

Yes...  despite ultimately finishing 4th in 2015, The Cadets did win the Ott Trophy in 2015 for DCI's Best Brass Line that season. That really was one of their Best Brass lines ever, imo... and Gino Cipriani and his brass assistants worked their magic with that Brass line right to Finals Night too.

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the black was to highlight the neon green, which in the end killed everything. all velocity was suddenly not as visually impressive in the black as it was in maroon and white

Yup. But the real issue with 2015 Cadets was the guard. And the late season “additions” Hopkins forced upon the design. He ran off the great guard staff which landed at SCV and then 2015 ran off the rest of the captions 

• Like 2

On the topic of 2015, when I saw the Bluecoats for the first time that year, I honestly thought they were going to win. Even considering that it was just a more avant-garde version of Tilt, I loved it from the beginning. However, the show proved to be too risky from a logistical standpoint, despite a late-season surge.

That change to black and neon green was the best disappearing act in DCI history.  The way they made all that GE go away was way more impressive than what SCV did with the Phantom back in ‘88-89.

Edited by Sideways
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1990 Phantom.  We were crushing the midwest, with the highest scores in the country until DCM.  Then, BOOM - Cavies.