Best EARLY SEASON show/corps that ending up NOT winning?

On 2/3/2019 at 6:53 AM, waliman4444 said:

Saw Bluecoats early in 2018 and fell in love with the show..Apparently, their changes, or lack thereof , didn't impress judges enough to keep them numero uno after mid season

At no point were they numero uno. They just hadn't met the California groups yet.

• Thanks 2

On 2/1/2019 at 3:28 PM, tesmusic said:

They did, but so did the Cadets and Cavaliers. 

Also BD tied for brass and took home best guard, so I’d say they did pretty well.

They didn’t get too percussion, something about a triplet roll...

BD was undefeated until quarterfinals in 1995, then ended up 3rd - so I pretty sure they didn't think they did pretty well. The Cadets and Cavaliers did not come out on fire that year, relative to BD. Both of them took losses to Madison (early season for Cadets, and as late as mid-season for the Cavies).

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 6:23 AM, seinphan said:

Wasn't 1988 BD undefeated until finals night when the strange performance order draw cost them the title to Scouts?

What a moronic thing to say.

On 2/4/2019 at 7:12 AM, BRASSO said:

BD was undefeated coming into Championships that '88 season. But that assessment of why they lost, (ie, "performance order " ), would be unfair to the'88 Madison Scouts Corps, imo. Madison lost to a few Corps early in that '88 season.  Phantom Regiment, Star of Indiana,  Cavaliers,  and to the Blue Devils ( BD by as much as 4-5 points in July). But Madison went to Europe mid season,  was away from competition with BD and the others as a result. The Madison Corps reportedly bonded very well on their trip to Europe, and the Corps improved... a lot. They came to Kansas City DCI Championships that season and beat not only the Blue Devils, but everyone else.. in both Prelims and Finals. They were phenomenal at that "88 Championships, ( watch the video on youtube ) and it would be a disservice to Madison's improvement and achievement from early season to Championships to attribute their '88 Title win to " performance order", that I would concede and agree with you, was a bit unusual and quirky that season.

Well said. Madison left for Europe 6/20 and their first show back was 7/9. People seem to forget that BD was 3rd in '88, not 2nd. Madison started to really gel towards the end of the season. Night after night they were improving by leaps and bounds. They were a raging inferno. People don't seem to know BD's visual weaknesses were there for all to see at DCI Midwest (Madison beat them in prelims) and DCI Canada (Star, Cavies and Cadets all beat them in visual). They would end up 6th in GE Visual and 4th in Visual Performance at finals. That's what cost them the title, not performance order.

Had any of the top three won in '88 I wouldn't be arguing otherwise today. I can say that about many years. The numbers happened to fall in Madison's favor in '88 and I agree with them winning (and I was there, in the audience, not watching on video). It was electric.

39 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

How so?

1988: SCV came out strong; Scouts came out of nowhere and won.

Then it indirectly impacted the next season.....

1989: Regiment came out strong; SCV did a re-work of their '88 show and won.

Edited by Stu

On 2/5/2019 at 2:49 PM, queenanne_1536 said:

BD was undefeated until quarterfinals in 1995, then ended up 3rd - so I pretty sure they didn't think they did pretty well. The Cadets and Cavaliers did not come out on fire that year, relative to BD. Both of them took losses to Madison (early season for Cadets, and as late as mid-season for the Cavies).

Definitely felt like BD was the favorite heading into Finals week in 95. They hadn’t been beaten in two years at that point. When we all got to Buffalo and it was clear they were dropping, it was a huge surprise (though not in retrospect). And yes, the Day Danse triplet roll redux (same roll was nails in 94 finals run) was...not a great moment for BD’s drums on Finals night.

First choice that came to mind for me was Cadets 97 (Year of the Dragon show). Granted, BD made it close at a couple stops, but that show had the feel of a champion and it felt like Cadets were due at that point. Remember seeing their run at Whitewater that summer and thinking they had it. Then quarters happened 10 days later, and we have a tie for first...bd and....VANGUARD! Lolwut alrighty then, that was that for Cadets title hopes. Of course was pulling for SCV but BD just turned it on over the next two nights and slammed the door once again. Still, that Cadets show was one of the stronger early season shows I can remember seeing from them, especially for that time period (where so many of their shows underwent such significant rewrites over the summer, ie 92 & 95, and to a lesser extent 94).

• Like 1