Bleu Raeders

Was 1972 the Bleu Raeders first year as a corps? I had seen them at US Open that year and loved them and realized 5 days later at the first DCI Championships that they beat out Garfield and St. Andrews? So were they a first year corps?

• Like 1

I don't know if that was their first year nor not.... but I remember seeing them for the first time at the World Open that year.  Fun show.

That World Open... as it turned out, I got to see five of the inaugural DCI finalists at that show.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

So just read a little blurb about the corps in DC History I and it said that DCI was their 18th show in corps history. So that answers my question. It was the quickest ascent into top 12 from a corps birth until 1985 and Star of Indiana

• Like 1

The Raeders, I believe (it's been a lotta years) grew out from the Stardusters and maybe another New Orleans corps in 1972. They evidently took the best talent with them, at least enough to make it to Finals. The late and legendary Marty Hurley was the percussion guru. Marty of course went on to the Belleville Black Knights and eventually Phantom Regiment. So many drum lines (including corps I marched with) during that period adopted, well OK...stole..the Hurley Left Hand Grip, i.e. middle finger straight up, pinkie finger curled. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

DCI Hall of Famer Moe Latour was their director. Their drum major went on to be the DM for the Blue Stars in 1975. I am not sure how many people have led two different corps into finals over the years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 3:28 PM, mcjordansc said:

DCI Hall of Famer Moe Latour was their director. Their drum major went on to be the DM for the Blue Stars in 1975. I am not sure how many people have led two different corps into finals over the years. 

Now that's interesting, I didn't know that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 8:26 AM, OldSnareDrummer said:

..the Hurley Left Hand Grip, i.e. middle finger straight up, pinkie finger curled. 

If I am not mistaken, Marty Hurley learned that left-hand grip from Bobby Thompson while he was with Blessed Sacrament.

A little research shows you are not mistaken. I never knew that about Marty. That'd make a good trivia question for my know-it-all corps buddies. 

On 3/13/2019 at 11:14 PM, Stu said:

If I am not mistaken, Marty Hurley learned that left-hand grip from Bobby Thompson while he was with Blessed Sacrament.

Their was a time when it seemed East Coast drum corps percussion was a "Six Degrees of Bobby Thompson" thing.

A whole bunch of people either learned from him, or learned from someone who had been taught by him.

We just thought it looked cool and we were all bad a**es for sticking our middle fingers out. Turns out it' was an extremely effective and smart way to grip.