Sign in to follow this  
KeithHall

Bleu Raeders

Was 1972 the Bleu Raeders first year as a corps? I had seen them at US Open that year and loved them and realized 5 days later at the first DCI Championships that they beat out Garfield and St. Andrews? So were they a first year corps?

• Like 1

I don't know if that was their first year nor not.... but I remember seeing them for the first time at the World Open that year.  Fun show.

That World Open... as it turned out, I got to see five of the inaugural DCI finalists at that show.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

So just read a little blurb about the corps in DC History I and it said that DCI was their 18th show in corps history. So that answers my question. It was the quickest ascent into top 12 from a corps birth until 1985 and Star of Indiana

The Raeders, I believe (it's been a lotta years) grew out from the Stardusters and maybe another New Orleans corps in 1972. They evidently took the best talent with them, at least enough to make it to Finals. The late and legendary Marty Hurley was the percussion guru. Marty of course went on to the Belleville Black Knights and eventually Phantom Regiment. So many drum lines (including corps I marched with) during that period adopted, well OK...stole..the Hurley Left Hand Grip, i.e. middle finger straight up, pinkie finger curled. 

• Like 2