Then vs Now

So I’m wasting away a Saturday night eating a good steak and watching old finals videos and what pops up next...1989. What a great year, partly because it’s the year that got me hooked on drum corps, partly because it was just plain old good. I forget what a g bugle line sounds like but that phantom soprano hit at the end of New World Symphony...my goodness. Chills trying to remind myself what hearing that live sounded like. Man I miss Star,  forgot how much fun Velvet Knights were and what awe Phantom of the Opera (take 2) was. It is strange actually hearing Blue Devils presented in a place less than 2nd and Rondo was a “young man” lol. 

Great memories!

now don’t get me wrong I love drum corps in its forms today but I can’t help but wonder how would the shows (and I get it, it’s almost apples and oranges) of that era score today?

Thoughts?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good point Stu. My “apples and oranges” was more thinking about marching and music styles. I didn’t even think about the judging systems being different but I guess there really is no comparison. I’m just thankful there is video to enjoy them all. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Corpfan said:

Good point Stu. My “apples and oranges” was more thinking about marching and music styles. I didn’t even think about the judging systems being different but I guess there really is no comparison. I’m just thankful there is video to enjoy them all. 

I also enjoy watching a video of the 1972 Miami Dolphins winning the Super Bowl and complete an undefeated perfect season. But to ask how they would fare in this year's Super Bowl is really, to me, an excercise in futility. But others are free to reply differently to your thread question.

' Loved the  ' 89 DCI year. Lots of very entertaining shows that season, I thought.... Phantom Regiment's show, mentioned here,  one of them for me too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

' Loved the  ' 89 DCI year. Lots of very entertaining shows that season, I thought.... Phantom Regiment's show, mentioned here,  one of them for me too.

Ya missed the point of the thread there Brasso! It is not the enjoyment factor which was questioned, but how would the shows of that era score today?

3 hours ago, Corpfan said:

So I’m wasting away a Saturday night eating a good steak and watching old finals videos and what pops up next...1989. What a great year, partly because it’s the year that got me hooked on drum corps, partly because it was just plain old good. I forget what a g bugle line sounds like but that phantom soprano hit at the end of New World Symphony...my goodness. Chills trying to remind myself what hearing that live sounded like. Man I miss Star,  forgot how much fun Velvet Knights were and what awe Phantom of the Opera (take 2) was. It is strange actually hearing Blue Devils presented in a place less than 2nd and Rondo was a “young man” lol. 

Great memories!

now don’t get me wrong I love drum corps in its forms today but I can’t help but wonder how would the shows (and I get it, it’s almost apples and oranges) of that era score today?

Thoughts?

1989 was the year before I marched with my short career of just two seasons in DCI...the more I think about it...What gets me more enamored than anything is the sheer talent level of the corps members these days versus my distant past...I may have been a good horn player...but I wonder if I was auditioning today with my level of talent that I had "then"...whether I'd actually get "cut".  The simultaneous demand of the players today just seems to be off the charts...not trying to take anything away from that time period BITD...it wasn't "easy" then either...I guess it's best to say just different...and leave it at that...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Using the adjudicating criteria of today, the '89 corps would score low. Using the adjudicating criteria of '89 the corps of today would score low. So, other than that what else would you like to know.

And I think that pretty much nails it. I fall in that same age range with my formative marching years between 87 and 90. Those shows were amazing (especially 1989) but Stu is correct. They would score abysmally low now if nothing else probably just on GE. I've always said (and feel free to disagree,) that the music is just as hard as it ever was across the brass and percussion books. The big change to me has been in drill design and guard complexity and staging. These young people now are doing things movement wise that we just would have never imagined in those times. Their level of musical talent is matched only by their visual talent at this point and I, for one, am amazed.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Stu said:

Ya missed the point of the thread there Brasso! It is not the enjoyment factor which was questioned, but how would the shows of that era score today?

He has 4 distinct paragraphs with 4 distinct thoughts/ assessments. I elected to respond to two of them... the first two paragraphs in my reply to his post. I will do a follow up and reply to the 2nd half of his post from earlier.

Edited by BRASSO