Then vs Now

44 minutes ago, GlassmenBtone said:

I urge you to watch the documentary "Why beauty matters" by Roger Scruton. Art and music have been under attack for decades. This is why you dont understand what you are seeing when you visit the Art Institute of Chicago. I am fairly sure that modern "art" is nothing more than a money laundering scheme. 

That was a weird exhibit. 

I think I read an article about modern art being a fraud on the public.  I go to see the masters at the ‘tute.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GlassmenBtone said:

Judgments of beauty are neither subjective nor arbitrary, and are a necessary part of practical reasoning in any attempt to harmonise our activities and ways of life with those of our neighbours

Judgment of beauty is not arbitrary, there are various criteria set either by the individual or by a judging sheet as it applies to DCI. However, the evaluation of what is and is not beautiful is purely subjective; while it may attempt to harmonize life, it has nothing to do with objective reason. Here is an example:

In math base ten, the equation can be written as 2+3=5 or ii+iii=v. That is objective reason. To evaluate that the roman numerals are more beautiful and artistic is purely subjective.

Edited by Stu

40 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

When I worked the DCI/YEA show in Westminster MD for a few years, one old-school alum would come up to me every year and complain about the shows. I wondered why he bothered going, if he didn't like anything.

I also wondered why be bothered talking to me about it. Not like I could get on the microphone and ask the corps to please play their 1975 shows instead of what they were doing. :tongue:

Westminster.  I was trying to remember the name of that school where Div 2/3 was held in 2000.   They had to mow the grass before prelims because it was like a cow pasture.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Westminster.  I was trying to remember the name of that school where Div 2/3 was held in 2000.   They had to mow the grass before prelims because it was like a cow pasture.  

LOL... I remember that!!!  Went to Div. 2 prelims there.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

and corps participation - in the 90s you couldn't scrape a full hornline together until mid June unless you were top 3

That helped, for sure.

There were some years when the all-age corps were more prepared early in the season than their DCI counterparts here in the East. 

And I remember the DCW reports about the early-season Drum Corps Midwest shows, when some of the DCI corps would barely have half their shows done. Not the case anymore (an exception here and there, like DCA's Buccaneers.... who are always ready to roll). That's a good thing for DCI fans.

Edited by Fran Haring

On 2/3/2019 at 11:31 AM, YoungMusician said:

I wonder how the shows of the early to mid 2000s would score. I’d like to think that Phantom’s 2006 show would score well today.

As someone who marched in the mid-2000s, I'd say GE scores for most groups would tank by today's standards. It was a transitional era that put out a bunch of boring shows with cookie cutter moments (PR 2006 was a rare exception).

I'll take the weirdness and over-the-top set design of today's shows any day.

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I would chip in if they’d put in some railings there.  That was tough on the old folks who sit down low. 

there's many things, but you get what you don't pay for

• Like 2

On 2/17/2019 at 10:14 AM, GlassmenBtone said:

I used to love drum corps, but the amplification and electronics have ruined it for me. If you prefer the mic'd up horn lines of today over the bugles from thirty years ago you have horrible taste 

I know taste. I have the best taste.

OT - what is up with your avatar image?