Then vs Now

19 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That was a weird exhibit. 

I think I read an article about modern art being a fraud on the public.  I go to see the masters at the ‘tute.  

Brenda and I went to see the modern-art exhibits in DC a couple of years ago.  We wondered if some of those artists were scamming all of us. :laughing: 

Some of the stuff we saw... absolutely great, thought-provoking.. But other stuff... I wish I could get rich throwing paint at a canvas, or stacking pieces of junk metal in a heap.  LOL.

The masters... in particular the European classics... more my cup of tea. Same with Brenda.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fran Haring said:

Brenda and I went to see the modern-art exhibits in DC a couple of years ago.  We wondered if some of those artists were scamming all of us. :laughing: 

Some of the stuff we saw... absolutely great, thought-provoking, groundbreaking in some cases. But other stuff... I wish I could get rich throwing paint at a canvas, or stacking pieces of junk metal in a heap.  LOL.

The masters... in particular the European classics... more my cup of tea. Same with Brenda.

all subjective. One argument would be and I've heard many times " Look beyond the obvious and we are all entitled to see what we see" and seeing different things is quite ok

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

all subjective. One argument would be and I've heard many times " Look beyond the obvious and we are all entitled to see what we see" and seeing different things is quite ok

I agree.  Completely to one's taste.

Just like drum corps.  LOL.  And along those lines... I would pay to see an exhibit of Italian Renaissance art. I wouldn't pay to see most modern art. (The DC exhibit we saw was free.  LOL) But I'm also not going on any Internet modern-art forums to gripe about that stuff.  :tongue:

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Westminster.  I was trying to remember the name of that school where Div 2/3 was held in 2000.   They had to mow the grass before prelims because it was like a cow pasture.  

Westminster was my sisters last band competition as regionals were there. Had a freaking snow squall start in middle of the show and wondered how judge sheets would work. Found out as came in about 3rd instead of expected few places lower.

Same show where a band parent chewed me out for yelling at a corps mate who was working with another band. “Cheer for your band”. Got my revenge later when I saw a bands drum tech come up steps looking for a seat. I pointed at the empty next to me and motioned for him to sit.... then Jeff’s dad sat down and we had a nice talk. And I could see the band parent giving me the hairy eyeball 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

What I am arguing for is sanity. if you hate it, why complain online? What's it going to change? All you do is actually hurt the activity. Parents read this place and other places, and then tey ask "why do i want my kid to be around all of the grumpy old ########?" And you can mock me for saying that, IT'S TRUE! I've had to explain to many parents over the years DCP and other sites/social media pages do not represent the real drum corps activity.

Worse, current marchers feel disrespected. They don't get to pick the shows. They just perform them as you did. But All they see is alumni from all over trashing what they are doing.....then wonder why those same alumni whine they aren't respected by the kids doing it today. Well Duh! Would you show love back to those that bash what you're doing? Hell no, you'll call them crusty old ######## and make fun of them. 

Why would current marchers feel disrespected about people criticizing the decisions of corps directors and show writers? Ridiculous 

8 minutes ago, GlassmenBtone said:

Why would current marchers feel disrespected about people criticizing the decisions of corps directors and show writers? Ridiculous 

And what is the end result of those decisions?

oh yeah, the show that the members are doing.... So if you are criticizing/slamming one....

”that ain’t drum corps” is like a shotgun as it shoots crap all over....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, GlassmenBtone said:

I didnt realise marching members had any say in show design, thanks for enlightening me

I gave you an answer without sarcasm, here is another without sarcasm....

what if the members don’t have a problem with the show design or even like it? Imagine that feeling when someone says their show is crap.

Heard complaints about the way shows were done in the middle 70s so nothing new under the sun

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GlassmenBtone said:

What you are actually arguing for in this post is for people to stop being so critical, just sit back and relax. Any changes DCI makes is good automatically because DCI is all knowing. What's the point of a discussion forum in the first place if we follow this logic. Imagine where we would be in other fields like medicine or infrastructure if everyone shared your views.

Discussion is fine, but belittling somebody who thinks different than you is not. Personally, I loved drum corps in 63, 73, 83, 93, 03, 13 and hopefully in 23. Are there individual shows I don't care for? Sure, in every era. Are there "things" from each era that I did not particularly like? Sure. But overall, I love it as much today as ever, and the performers and designers of today are, IMO, the best there have ever been...and that in no way detracts from the great people of the past. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Some of the stuff we saw... absolutely great, thought-provoking.. But other stuff... I wish I could get rich throwing paint at a canvas, or stacking pieces of junk metal in a heap.  LOL.

I love the masters....

Dogs-Playing-Poker.jpg

• Haha 2