Then vs Now

1 minute ago, jjeffeory said:

I think there's also another factor at play...

There are more students now than ever.  There are more high schools than the 90s, so more members being better marketed to...

I'm not sure DCI's catering is much of a factor.  Just my observation.

No idea about body numbers but lot easier to get the word out now with that internet thingee...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I'm talking about kids and parents seeing a never ending parade of alumni complaining about the activity in general. I have no problem speaking my mind on a very controversial show choice.

personally anyone that booed Suncoast in 84 should be beaten about the head and shoulder. My Dad, who lost a brother in Vietnam and was one number away from getting the call to go over cried like a baby for that show. 

Designers have always found ways to get statements into shows, some more obscure and not known to all as others. After all the crowd roared when VK had the Bull take  whiz on the matador it just gored in 84...or what I think it was 2010 when the guy chose the other guy over the girl.

Your response actually supported my position. The Suncoast designers placed the youth performers in a position where they were caught in a very controversial subject where many booed and hated the political statement, and someone like you who wanted to beat the snot out of those who booed. The youth should never have been put in that position by designers who were using them as pawns for their own politics.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

Your response actually supported my position. The Suncoast designers placed the youth performers in a position where they were caught in a very controversial subject where many booed and hated the political statement, and someone like you who wanted to beat the snot out of those who booed. The youth should never have been put in that position by designers who were using them as pawns for their own politics.

If the members actually liked doing the show does that matter?

Seriously have we gotten that bad that we can’t enjoy a freaking music show without looking for things that #### us off.... Hot dogs are usually for sale all the time....

guess I should boo Madison and Hanover for play “You’ll Never Walk Alone”. After all main character is a bum who gets killed in a fight and is dead good bit of the musical. And the song in question is about him haunting/stalking his daughter.!

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I'm talking about kids and parents seeing a never ending parade of alumni complaining about the activity in general. I have no problem speaking my mind on a very controversial show choice.

personally anyone that booed Suncoast in 84 should be beaten about the head and shoulder. My Dad, who lost a brother in Vietnam and was one number away from getting the call to go over cried like a baby for that show. 

Designers have always found ways to get statements into shows, some more obscure and not known to all as others. After all the crowd roared when VK had the Bull take  whiz on the matador it just gored in 84...or what I think it was 2010 when the guy chose the other guy over the girl.

It's a show I wish I had seen.   1984 through 1987, I saw very little drum corps outside of the handful of shows I was announcing.

Edited by Fran Haring

9 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Seriously have we gotten that bad that we can’t enjoy a freaking music show without looking for things that #### us off.... Hot dogs are usually for sale all the time....

Agree. Plus, even when I don't initially like a show from the stands, I tend to go back and try to watch it again. If nothing else, it allows me to really focus in on what I don't like. I've often found that I'm listening to a show and trying to compare it to show of the corps that was on just before it. That's fine, but I enjoy it much more when I'm not trying to be a "stadium seat GE judge."

• Like 2

Inside joke at my swipe at Carousel.... sister was in the chorus for a high school production. After a while we kept hearing how #### depressing the subject matter was. And think she still has nightmares with the great clam bake song “them oysters we ET”. Back to pit orchestra after that.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

guess I should boo Madison and Hanover for play “You’ll Never Walk Alone”. After all main character is a bum who gets killed in a fight and is dead good bit of the musical. And the song in question is about him haunting/stalking his daughter.!

If a member is fine with the content and message of the show, all right then. However they should have no complaints, no crying, no woe is me if the crowd boos their show. Suck it up buttercups.

As for can we have shows without audience crying and moaning, well that is up to the designers. If the designers choose to push the boundries and put something out there that glorifies sexual promiscuity or a presents their own political beliefs, and people in the audience voice thier objections, that is on the designers not the audience.

9 minutes ago, GlassmenBtone said:

We actually joked about the old geezers who post here on dcp and how out of touch they were when I marched. Granted this was ten years ago I have no idea what dcp's reputation among current members are these days

So if a current member reads your comments today and applies the old geezer tag then you won’t be offended? Some people laugh and some others don’t quite see the connection.

My day it was getting rid of the Color Presentation and corps really starting to use marching bells. Still remember the dc news grumble letter about the “tink tink bells”. And just missed the griping about no more starting and ending lines. Lol and we hadn’t even started pits and asymmetric drill yet.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

19 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So if a current member reads your comments today and applies the old geezer tag then you won’t be offended? Some people laugh and some others don’t quite see the connection.

My day it was getting rid of the Color Presentation and corps really starting to use marching bells. Still remember the dc news grumble letter about the “tink tink bells”. And just missed the griping about no more starting and ending lines. Lol and we hadn’t even started pits and asymmetric drill yet.

The 1976 Bridgemen were on that hit list.  "Those #### banana coats... they're ruining drum corps!!!"  :laughing:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2