Then vs Now

15 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

We were so used to St.Andrews.  It was an adjustment. 

We saw the Bridgemen at an early-season NJ show in 1977, in the years when the top junior corps used to stay pretty close to home before going on tour.

I'm guessing it was just one of those days that we've all had. Nothing was going right for them that day.... a rough run.

Our next viewing was at the Dream that summer... and it was like a completely different corps.  Amazing performance from them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Bunch of clowns grumble grumble.... Yet the opener was a modified starting line move playing one of St Andrews greatest hit if I was told right....

Of course we both know what Reading looked like 3 years later :sigh:

Which reminds me.. should have heard the complaints when Reading played slow part of Dies Ires(?). Very slow, melodic with a Ritchee Price high wail solo... that ain't drum corps to some in 1974.

When I was with Sunrisers, we got heat from some traditionalists for "that DCI stuff" we were doing.  LOL.  Honestly, we took that as a compliment!!!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

When I was with Sunrisers, we got heat from some traditionalists for "that DCI stuff" we were doing.  LOL.  Honestly, we took that as a compliment!!!

I don’t think people realize how transitional the ‘70’s were.  The style of show I marched in 1972 was NOTHING like the show I marched in 1978.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t think people realize how transitional the ‘70’s were.  The style of show I marched in 1972 was NOTHING like the show I marched in 1978.  

On the money.  Lots of changes that decade.

Just thinking about what drum lines looked like in 1970, compared to 1979.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

We saw the Bridgemen at an early-season NJ show in 1977, in the years when the top junior corps used to stay pretty close to home before going on tour.

I'm guessing it was just one of those days that we've all had. Nothing was going right for them that day.... a rough run.

Our next viewing was at the Dream that summer... and it was like a completely different corps.  Amazing performance from them.

YES! it did save the corps BUT you could never tell those people that....to this day....and you know it...lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yep 74 in DCA only color guard could be on field to start show. By 77 or 78 anywhere you want.

1972 dvds I have show traditional starting and ending line.

Easiest thing to notice off top of my head.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I think there's also another factor at play...

There are more students now than ever.  There are more high schools than the 90s, so more members being better marketed to...

I'm not sure DCI's catering is much of a factor.  Just my observation.

more directors now that came up through the DCI ranks, as well as staff...and DCI has done a better job marketing

6 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

See I thought the 84 Suncoast show was garbage (never boo at any show and I tend to be quiet in the stands).  Just INSANELY shallow but hey whatever floats your boat.  Today's shows (for me) seems just as INSANELY shallow intellectually.  Just so much over the top stuff going on when the time and effort should have been in the music and drill making the point..but hey call me a dino.

My dad started marching in 63....he's a dino too

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Your response actually supported my position. The Suncoast designers placed the youth performers in a position where they were caught in a very controversial subject where many booed and hated the political statement, and someone like you who wanted to beat the snot out of those who booed. The youth should never have been put in that position by designers who were using them as pawns for their own politics.

if the kids didn't like it, they didn't have to march. And knowing a few that marched it, they loved it. I know someone that turned down a chance at a ring because they hated the show when it was announced and quit. I know someone else that turned down a ring because they would have had to cut their hair

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

It's a show I wish I had seen.   1984 through 1987, I saw very little drum corps outside of the handful of shows I was announcing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1