Then vs Now

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

if the kids didn't like it, they didn't have to march. And knowing a few that marched it, they loved it. I know someone that turned down a chance at a ring because they hated the show when it was announced and quit. I know someone else that turned down a ring because they would have had to cut their hair

A former post of mine is also applicable here. If a member is fine with the content and message of the show , all right then. However they should have no complaints, no crying, no woe is me if the crowd boos their show. Suck it up buttercups.

4 hours ago, GlassmenBtone said:

We actually joked about the old geezers who post here on dcp and how out of touch they were when I marched. Granted this was ten years ago I have no idea what dcp's reputation among current members are these days

thank you for making my point for me. you're now what you joked about

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

The 1976 Bridgemen were on that hit list.  "Those #### banana coats... they're ruining drum corps!!!"  :laughing:

i remember at age 7 people in the stands complaining about them. I thought they were the greatest thing ever

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

A former post of mine is also applicable here. If a member is fine with the content and message of the show , all right then. However they should have no complaints, no crying, no woe is me if the crowd boos their show. Suck it up buttercups.

most kids mock the reaction. If you read what I said, parents are more affected by what they see. I've said it before, I'll say it again, in no other activity does the past #### on the present and future like in drum corps.

52 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

most kids mock the reaction. If you read what I said, parents are more affected by what they see. I've said it before, I'll say it again, in no other activity does the past #### on the present and future like in drum corps.

Interesting that a performer will mock the very people who paid upwards of $150 per ticket plus travel, motel, and meal expenses in order to hopefully receive a night of entertainment instead of a having to suffer through a show which pushes political and other agendas from artistic design staff.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Interesting that a performer will mock the very people who paid upwards of $150 per ticket plus travel, motel, and meal expenses in order to hopefully receive a night of entertainment instead of a having to suffer through a show which pushes political and other agendas from artistic design staff.

Well if the members (who paid a lot more than $150) are supposed to "suck it up buttercup".....

I don't like some of Springsteens political songs. So when he is in town the choice is pay up, go and tune out for a bit OR I stay home *shrug*

Some here have been talking about complaints regarding changes that have nothing to do with themes, political or otherwise.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

What was then is not what's now! Not sure if that quote belongs to anyone but...

When I joined corps in 1971, I was a young trumpet player handed a strange horn with two less valves and a lever. I was told, here's your uniform and go buy white bucks! I played music from "A New World Symphony" and into a Chicago number into Dry Bones and an exit of Something (Beatles). fast forward to 1977 and I got to try out the new 2 valve horn. Then fly into the 1980's and drum corps as I knew it had changed. Then came three valves, pits, guards that danced, etc. 

I enjoyed what I did, I enjoyed teaching in the 80's, 90's and 2000's and I'd do it again if asked. "The times they are a changin'" and that's just the way it will always be. The talent level is so much better today but think of all those kids that weren't in school bands who were handed a horn or drum and became somewhat proficient at it. Wasn't that amazing? Today these kids are just as dedicated as we were way back when and work just as hard if not harder. 

It isn't the same but the goals are!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Stu said:

As for can we have shows without audience crying and moaning, well that is up to the designers. If the designers choose to push the boundries and put something out there that glorifies sexual promiscuity or a presents their own political beliefs, and people in the audience voice thier objections, that is on the designers not the audience.

At some point in all of our musical "careers" whether performing or teaching, we've probably been asked to put a dress on the pig and make it as pretty as possible. But I don't blame the performers for working their ###'s off to make that pig the prettiest #### pig you've ever seen. 

I think the key is how we approach it if we don't like the message/staging/design etc. I can say to an MM "I may not like the design or message of the show you were given. But you guys performed the #### out of it and you should be proud." I just don't see how that's so hard. 

I have to do it even today outside of music when I'm asked to build a really hideously ugly pool cue. I don't blame myself for building an ugly cue or them for playing with it. I just build the thing to look as good as it can. 

10 hours ago, Stu said:

interesting that someone who paid upwards of $150 a ticket, plus travel, motel and meal expenses will sit there and ##### the whole time and then go home and complain online too. And then continuing to do it year after year. 

• Thanks 2