Then vs Now

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Interesting that a performer will mock the very people who paid upwards of $150 per ticket plus travel, motel, and meal expenses in order to hopefully receive a night of entertainment instead of a having to suffer through a show which pushes political and other agendas from artistic design staff.

just the over the top, arm chair authorities. For the most part they respect . 

Respect is earned on both ends. Not a given. Just like some have said, IF a show is not to someones pleasing people can respond BUT the other side of that coin is   A PUSH BACK  can and should be expected.

Edited by GUARDLING

3 hours ago, GlassmenBtone said:

Honestly, it was over for drum corps the day they stopped using single valve horns and follow the leader drill

it was over on day 2, because thats when changes started.

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

interesting that someone who paid upwards of $150 a ticket, plus travel, motel and meal expenses will sit there and ##### the whole time and then go home and complain online too. And then continuing to do it year after year. 

THIS! 100 % does it even make sense. No this wasn't a question...lol😉

Edited by GUARDLING

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

At some point in all of our musical "careers" whether performing or teaching, we've probably been asked to put a dress on the pig and make it as pretty as possible. But I don't blame the performers for working their ###'s off to make that pig the prettiest #### pig you've ever seen. 

I think the key is how we approach it if we don't like the message/staging/design etc. I can say to an MM "I may not like the design or message of the show you were given. But you guys performed the #### out of it and you should be proud." I just don't see how that's so hard. 

I have to do it even today outside of music when I'm asked to build a really hideously ugly pool cue. I don't blame myself for building an ugly cue or them for playing with it. I just build the thing to look as good as it can. 

True story. In 2009, after a show, I was in the bus parking lot near the Boston Crusaders Buses and Equipment truck. An older gentleman walked by, and seeing some of the performers, he merely smiled and complimented them on the show. As he walked away one of the girls said, "Pervert", and everybody kind of giggled. So you tell me: was the problem the old-guy, was he actually a pervert; or was the real problem the design and content of the show which glorified sexual promiscuity and put forth high school and college girls as sexual objects?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

True story. In 2009, after a show, I was in the bus parking lot near the Boston Crusaders Buses and Equipment truck. An older gentleman walked by, and seeing some of the performers, he merely smiled and complimented them on the show. As he walked away one of the girls said, "Pervert", and everybody kind of giggled. So you tell me: was the problem the old-guy, was he actually a pervert; or was the real problem the design and content of the show which glorified sexual promiscuity and put forth high school and college girls as sexual objects?

well if i walked by buses and a bunch of young women were in various states of undress, i can see the pervert comment. there's so many missing details here it's impossible to put their reaction into a proper context...tone of voice, delivery, facial expressions you name it.

I do appreciate your attempt to put a spin on it but there's a ton of details you're missing to help paint a true picture. 

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

well if i walked by buses and a bunch of young women were in various states of undress, i can see the pervert comment. there's so many missing details here it's impossible to put their reaction into a proper context...tone of voice, delivery, facial expressions you name it.

I do appreciate your attempt to put a spin on it but there's a ton of details you're missing to help paint a true picture. 

They were not in various stages of undress. I would not have been there if that was the case. They were eating snacks before getting on the bus to go someplace else. Does that clarify it? Your justifications for pushing the limit controversial show designs are rather telling.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

interesting that someone who paid upwards of $150 a ticket, plus travel, motel and meal expenses will sit there and ##### the whole time and then go home and complain online too. And then continuing to do it year after year. 

justifying bad behavior, the mocking by the performers, by pointing to other bad behavior. Typical.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it was over on day 2, because thats when changes started.

Never should have put that #### valve on back in the 1930s. Just because some corps wanted to be more “musical”....

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

just the over the top, arm chair authorities. For the most part they respect . 

Respect is earned on both ends. Not a given. Just like some have said, IF a show is not to someones pleasing people can respond BUT the other side of that coin is   A PUSH BACK  can and should be expected.

If a touring company uses mainly youth performers, and they put together the musical The Book of Mormon, then they perform it in downtown Salt Lake City Utah. The problem is not the crowd who will boo hiss and show their dislike. The problem is the designers who are using the youth for their own artistic statements. That is all I am getting at.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

C) Neither of the above

seriously maybe he startled her or she misread his intentions in talking to her. Being of the “mature” age and working with 20 somethings i know some feel uncomfortable being around older generation people if they don’t know them

Edited by JimF-LowBari