Then vs Now

Just now, Stu said:

If a touring company uses mainly youth performers, and they put together the musical The Book of Mormon, then they perform it in downtown Salt Lake City Utah. The problem is not the crowd who will boo hiss and show their dislike. The problem is the designers who are using the youth for their own artistic statements. That is all I am getting at.

Well maybe it's just me BUT to me, booing and hissing is just plain childish. If the book of Mormon was performing in a non-friendly place, why go. In drum corps, you have a choice to go or not or with several corps in a show go get a hot dog.

Designers do not always get it right, that's for sure BUT we do have a choice without reverting to IMO childish, nonproductive, combative behavior.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Stu said:

They were not in various stages of undress. I would not have been there if that was the case. They were eating snacks before getting on the bus to go someplace else. Does that clarify it? Your justifications for pushing the limit controversial show designs are rather telling.

tone of voice, inflection, facial expressions...so much more missing.

and i am not justifying anything on the show design. While I personally wasn't offended, you're trying to justify your viewpoint by only giving parts of a story to satisfy your end result.

Again, I appreciate your attempt to wordsmith in a way to further your agenda, but when you fail to give everything in the proper context, you'll get #### flung back at you

22 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Well maybe it's just me BUT to me, booing and hissing is just plain childish. If the book of Mormon was performing in a non-friendly place, why go. In drum corps, you have a choice to go or not or with several corps in a show go get a hot dog.

Designers do not always get it right, that's for sure BUT we do have a choice without reverting to IMO childish, nonproductive, combative behavior.

Okay let's take it from that angle. This activity has been purposely developed into a highly competitive sport. One in which tours not in performance halls, but in high school, college, and major league football stadiums. And within the height of that competition there is a fan expectation for them to only exhibit non competitive artistic behavior? Give me a break!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Stu said:

justifying bad behavior, the mocking by the performers, by pointing to other bad behavior. Typical.

No...showing neither are right. But in your absolutist views, you refuse to consider all options. you just hammer away at one with blinders on

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Okay let's take it from that angle. This activity has been purposely developed into a highly competitive sport. One in which tours not in performance halls, but in high school, college, and major league football stadiums. And within the height of that competition there is a fan expectation for them to only exhibit non competitive artistic behavior? Give me a break!

You are making the assumption that the majority of people do not enjoy what is being presented. Like with everything and in every era, everyone will not  like everything presented. 

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

tone of voice, inflection, facial expressions...so much more missing.

Crappy lighting that can turn an innocent smile into something sinister. Speaking before the other person knows you are there or talking to you. Etc etc and etc....

And how often do fans in the stands walk thru corps areas and stop and talk to the members who are total strangers? For my Sr experience back in the day this was uncommon so not an expected occurance

Edited by JimF-LowBari

33 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

C) Neither of the above

seriously maybe he startled her or she misread his intentions in talking to her. Being of the “mature” age and working with 20 somethings i know some feel uncomfortable being around older generation people if they don’t know them

Now darn you using facts and logic and reason

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

actually fan expectation is to be entertained...and being entertained can be viewed a zillion different ways

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Now darn you using facts and logic and reason

Just too used to dealing with the 20 somethings that are converting the app I work on. Just get that “oh #### he wants to talk to me look” too many times. Then they realize I’m full of it and treat me like the nutzy uncle.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

17 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually fan expectation is to be entertained...and being entertained can be viewed a zillion different ways

For me ( just me ) There are tons of political shows over the years in WGI. Personally many I can't stand, especially for those who chose to do them year after year after year. That does not mean I can't find many other qualities in that very show from the MMs talent, to the design process etc etc One can choose to IMO look at it in 1 dimension OR look at the multi-facets of a program. JMO

Edited by GUARDLING