Then vs Now

This is a serious question for Jeff and Guardling, however anybody can answer. Was putting high school and college-age girls in a performance as being artistic sexual objects and promoting sexual promiscuity as being a fun activity in the show entitled Core of Temptation appropriate and okay with you as an art form within DCI?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

If a touring company uses mainly youth performers, and they put together the musical The Book of Mormon, then they perform it in downtown Salt Lake City Utah. The problem is not the crowd who will boo hiss and show their dislike. The problem is the designers who are using the youth for their own artistic statements. That is all I am getting at.

Yeah.... good luck with that.  :lol:

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

This is a serious question for Jeff and Guardling, however anybody can answer. Was putting high school and college-age girls in a performance as being artistic sexual objects and promoting sexual promiscuity as being a fun activity in the show entitled Core of Temptation appropriate and okay with you as an art form within DCI?

There are limits on everything. One can be offended by what you say for sure as well as something political or religious or sensual or or or or.

In most cases ( most ) will walk that line, some will step over. The threshold for what constitutes over the line should be obvious BUT I think with some opinions can vary drastically. 

3 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

There are limits on everything. One can be offended by what you say for sure as well as something political or religious or sensual or or or or.

In most cases ( most ) will walk that line, some will step over. The threshold for what constitutes over the line should be obvious BUT I think with some opinions can vary drastically. 

You failed to answer my question. Was the sexual objectification and promotion of the fun of sexual promiscuity in the show appropriate and ok ' for you'?

• Like 1

Just now, Stu said:

You failed to answer my question. Was the sexual objectification and promotion of the fun of sexual promiscuity in the show appropriate and ok ' for you'?

That is YOUR interpretation.  Not everyone elses.  At least not to the extent you are trying to promote.  I didn't view it as extreme as you seem to have. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

That is YOUR interpretation.  Not everyone elses.  At least not to the extent you are trying to promote.  I didn't view it as extreme as you seem to have. 

That is a yes it was appropriate and ok from LabMaster.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

It wasn't my fav show BUT I did not see it in the text you may have. There was a very controversial show in WGI way back in the early 2000s A world class guard doing the Kama Sutra. It was one of my Fav shows and thousands who saw it seemed to agree. Were there a few who felt different? sure a few Mom's I guess BUT for the most part a winner, and it was.

I could have been offended by that as well ( but wasn't ) BUT I can be as offended by political statements or religious statements also.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

It wasn't my fav show BUT I did not see it in the text you may have. There was a very controversial show in WGI way back in the early 2000s A world class guard doing the Kama Sutra. It was one of my Fav shows and thousands who saw it seemed to agree. Were there a few who felt different? sure a few Mom's I guess BUT for the most part a winner, and it was.

I could have been offended by that as well ( but wasn't ) BUT I can be as offended by political statements or religious statements also.

That is a yes it was appropriate and ok from Guardling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

True story. In 2009, after a show, I was in the bus parking lot near the Boston Crusaders Buses and Equipment truck. An older gentleman walked by, and seeing some of the performers, he merely smiled and complimented them on the show. As he walked away one of the girls said, "Pervert", and everybody kind of giggled. So you tell me: was the problem the old-guy, was he actually a pervert; or was the real problem the design and content of the show which glorified sexual promiscuity and put forth high school and college girls as sexual objects?

Interesting scenario but we still cannot assume that the reason for MM's comment was based on the design of the show. It's possible that the specific MM felt objectified but without her statement as to why she responded how she did, how can we be sure. 

I have a colleague at work who once made a blanket statement that "all old men are creepy perverts." It didn't matter who it was or their intention, they were all creepy perverts out to get her. It turned out that she had been victimized by her grandfather and that (understandably so,) significantly colored her perception. Now, without that knowledge of her past, how can anyone make a statement about her feelings on "all old men" that would be anything more than assumption. 

I see your point Stu. I really do. And much like other things such as advertising, it holds some merit. But the example given, without input from the member themselves, simply doesn't point to a specific reason why the statement was made without having to assume. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1