Then vs Now

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

seems to me you're missing so much more of the premise of the show than sex. And considering what passes for mainstream entertainment today, sold to kids in fact, that show was down right ####### tame.

So are you saying there was no sexualization of young women, or objectifying them, and presenting that as a fun bite out the apple written into that show?

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stu said:

So are you saying there was no sexualization of young women, or objectifying them, and presenting that as a fun bite out the apple written into that show?

So I watched the show and here's my impression and opinion. There are some who will see objectification of both young women and men (the guard is co-ed after all,) within the show. Is it "over the top?" Not in my opinion. The hinge pin is is how an individual views what they are seeing. I'm not staring at the MM's as objects or trying to interpret sex into the show, so I'm not seeing it through your eyes. I've certainly seen things in other main stream media that I could point to as being FAR more explicit. 

Now, if that makes me some sort of sicko or leaves me open to be told that I am ok with objectifying young women, then let's be careful where we tread. 

I simply don't see things in that specific show through the same mindset and eyes that another person might see them through. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

So I watched the show and here's my impression and opinion. There are some who will see objectification of both young women and men (the guard is co-ed after all,) within the show. Is it "over the top?" Not in my opinion. The hinge pin is is how an individual views what they are seeing. I'm not staring at the MM's as objects or trying to interpret sex into the show, so I'm not seeing it through your eyes. I've certainly seen things in other main stream media that I could point to as being FAR more explicit. 

Now, if that makes me some sort of sicko or leaves me open to be told that I am ok with objectifying young women, then let's be careful where we tread. 

I simply don't see things in that specific show through the same mindset and eyes that another person might see them through. 

I never said it was over the top, but was a wink wink nudge nudge at sexual situations being fun and ok. So what does the bite out of the apple core of temptation mean if it is not giving a fun wink at sexual situations?

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

In the spring of 1987, my high school drama club produced the 1956 musical Li'l Abner, based on the long-running comic strip of the same name. One character, played in the original Broadway production and the subsequent movie adaptation by Julie Newmar (later famed as Catwoman on the Batman TV show, is "Stupefyin' Jones", whose appearance literally stops men in their tracks. As I recall, the Stupefyin' Jones in my school's cast, then a high school junior, was clad at least as scantily as Ms. Newmar in the clip below.

• Haha 1

Isn't the pinnacle of sexuality in drum corps the "When a Man Loves a Woman" section of the 1992 Blue Devils show?

• Like 2

Today I saw but didn't click on a teaser for "Movies That Weren't Even Nominated for Best Picture". The teaser image was Cary Grant running from the crop-dusting plane in North by Northwest (1959). So let me quote from the Wikipedia article on that great film:

The film's final shot—that of the train speeding into a tunnel during a romantic embrace onboard—is a famous bit of self-conscious Freudian symbolism reflecting Hitchcock's mischievous sense of humor. In the book Hitchcock/Truffaut (p. 107–108), Hitchcock called it a 'phallic symbol ... probably one of the most impudent shots I ever made.'

See also: Santa Clara Vanguard, "Attraction: The Music of Scheherazade" (2004).

28 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Isn't the pinnacle of sexuality in drum corps the "When a Man Loves a Woman" section of the 1992 Blue Devils show?

Or Phantom Regiments guard (91?) laying down with legs up and out to the sides in front of the brass line.  Then there's VK mm who was in a bikini at the end of that years show.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stu said:

True story. In 2009, after a show, I was in the bus parking lot near the Boston Crusaders Buses and Equipment truck. An older gentleman walked by, and seeing some of the performers, he merely smiled and complimented them on the show. As he walked away one of the girls said, "Pervert", and everybody kind of giggled. So you tell me: was the problem the old-guy, was he actually a pervert; or was the real problem the design and content of the show which glorified sexual promiscuity and put forth high school and college girls as sexual objects?

If this is true then it pretty much confirms boston's 09 show was explicitly about sex. Otherwise what could be perverted about an old guy complimenting them on their show if its just an innocent allusion to original sin or something like that.

Oy vey.  Let me go and work out all the contortion in this thread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After cleaning up personal attacks and general blanket statements about color guard members...

And before I get a flood of PM’s, posts were cleaned up on both sides. 

• Thanks 3