Then vs Now

33 minutes ago, Stu said:

Quick clarification here. I actually liked and enjoyed Core of Temptation. It was smart and intelligent as it used the hints, winks, entendres. I also found humor in VK sex cymbals and things presented by the Bridgemen. At this juncture I am just questioning how our culture has become desensitized to the objectification and sexualization of young women, and the notion that youthful sexual promiscuity is considerd fun and ok if we wink.

if done ina  playful fashion, whats the big deal? Remember, in West Side Story, Tony and Maria were teens, and had a scene in bed....this was what, 1957?

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

so you're hung up on a 10 year old show, but a 32 year old show was humorous. Got it.

No; I am questioning why I and nary a person, as you put it, mentioned a thing about being offended by the topic or attire, even back then. I enjoyed the movie Sixteen Candels back then; but when I watch it now I wonder why we found Anthony Michael Hall's character as winning the day when he gets the passed out drunk girl to do with as he pleases with a funny wink. The same holds true with this DCI show of Core of Temptation. There is no denying the sexual promiscuous overtones and the witty wink we give it based on desensitization and thought it was ok; especilly in a youth activity. And that now bothers me.

Edited by Stu

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

No; I am questioning why I and nary a person, as you put it, mentioned a thing about being offended by the topic or attire, even back then. I enjoyed the movie Sixteen Candels back then; but when I watch it now I wonder why we found Anthony Michael Hall's character as winning the day when he gets the passed out drunk girl to do with as he pleases with a funny wink. The same holds true with this DCI show of Core of Temptation. There is no denying the sexual promiscuous overtones and the witty wink we give it based on desensitization and thought it was ok; especilly in a youth activity. And that now bothers me.

well it's been happening for decades, so blame our forefathers. Not just in the activity, but in general. Personally, like many things, you make mountains out of molehills.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well it's been happening for decades, so blame our forefathers. Not just in the activity, but in general. Personally, like many things, you make mountains out of molehills.

The movie Burlesque, the old shows of Benny Hill, Monty Python, etc.... fine, that is ok because they are not geared toward, nor use, youth performers. Is it really making a mountain out of a molehill to suggest that it is rather, nay extremely sad that we are so desensitized to sexual promiscuity being fun wink wink, even back in the days of Sixteen Candles, that we are not only overlooking it but praising it within a youth activity. Is that desensitization toward our youth really a molehill?

Edited by Stu

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

I enjoyed the movie Sixteen Candles back then; but when I watch it now I wonder why we found Anthony Michael Hall's character as winning the day when he gets the passed out drunk girl to do with as he pleases with a funny wink.

You're not alone; Molly Ringwald herself has written about that very subject.

"If I sound overly critical, it’s only with hindsight. Back then, I was only vaguely aware of how inappropriate much of John [Hughes]’s writing was, given my limited experience and what was considered normal at the time."

Much more here:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/personal-history/what-about-the-breakfast-club-molly-ringwald-metoo-john-hughes-pretty-in-pink

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Stop using logic and common sense 

Well you did call me trouble when you saw me in church last week 😋

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Stu said:

The movie Burlesque, the old shows of Benny Hill, Monty Python, etc.... fine, that is ok because they are not geared toward, nor use, youth performers. Is it really making a mountain out of a molehill to suggest that it is rather, nay extremely sad that we are so desensitized to sexual promiscuity being fun wink wink, even back in the days of Sixteen Candles, that we are not only overlooking it but praising it within a youth activity. Is that desensitization toward our youth really a molehill?

I guess my question would be are we really praising the sexual component of a show or the performance of the show in its entirety? There's a difference in my mind between saying "that was a great show" from a performance aspect and saying "that color guard (in this example) was smokin' sexy hot." If I'm not looking for that component then it just becomes part of the backdrop in the minds eye. So yes I see your point. I believe the key is in how each person interprets what's being presented. 

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I guess my question would be are we really praising the sexual component of a show or the performance of the show in its entirety? There's a difference in my mind between saying "that was a great show" from a performance aspect and saying "that color guard (in this example) was smokin' sexy hot." If I'm not looking for that component then it just becomes part of the backdrop in the minds eye. So yes I see your point. I believe the key is in how each person interprets what's being presented. 

So, it is the performance aspects which are praised along with the interpretation of the recipient, not the intent of the designers, that matters in the final outcome.

In this particular case the designers put in a wink wink nod to fun fun youth sexual promiscuity, entitled the show Core of Temptation, and made the bite out of the apple fun. No sane person can deny that. In the grand scheme it was far from over the top but still it was there. And as long as we the recipients put that in the backdrop and praise the multitude of other performace aspects that makes it fine. Ok let's go with that premise.

To be consistent, again to be consistent, that premise must apply to other art and media entertainment which utilize youth besides fun fun wink drum corps. As long as a person watching a movie on the internet is deriving entertainment from the cinematography, from the musical score, from the acting, etc, and placing the rated R type of fun promiscuous sex with youth females, action which certainly does objectify young women, as long as the recipient places it in the backdrop of their interpretation, that makes it ok. Note that rated R, not X, does utilize youth in very compromising sexual situations and promotes that as acceptably fun.

Again, consistency of your premise of putting it in the backdrop utilized for drum corps means it has to apply to youth performing outside of wink wink drum corps.

Edited by Stu

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well you did call me trouble when you saw me in church last week 😋

what better place to do it!

• Haha 1